Duck attacked now blind

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lukewilkes, Mar 10, 2017.

1. lukewilkes

lukewilkes New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    My ducks were attacked today. In the past I have lost one chicken and one duck. But this time I lost three. One is wounded on the head and seems to be blind now. Any advice? I have cleaned with warm water and brought inside in the warmth. Not eating or drinking. Definitely seems to be in shock. Just happened hours ago so any advice would be good. Too late for a vet and I would like to handle at home if at all possible. Thanks guys
    Luke

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please isolate the duck and keep in a warm ,darkened, quiet area. He sounds like he is in shock. Don't try to push any fluids or food at this time. Hopefully he will come out of it .

4. Stacylee28

Stacylee28 Just Hatched

Apr 10, 2015
    Rock tavern
    Last night I saw movement in my chicken egg I thought it would hatch ! Sat morning at 3:30 no movement nothing I don't now what to do! Sould I see if it needs help! I hope I didn't mess things up! I hope I didn't loss it please help

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Luke, and [​IMG]! Really sorry to hear this - I hope it all turns out okay!

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear about your duck attack, I hope the ER forum members will be able to help you out.

Best of luck

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad that you joined us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under lukewilkes Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear of your losses and hope the folks on the ER Forum were able to assist. Best wishes to you and your duck.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    :welcome please keep the duck warm and in a fair quiet area. Do not mess with the duck. Stress can make these shock situations much worse. Offer food and water tomorrow evening if the shock seems to have worn off. Please update us with news tomorrow :hugs

10. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Nevermind :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by