Duck attacked

jenfletcher

Chirping
Apr 25, 2019
North Alabama
Last night our 2 month old Cayuga duck was attacked by something. We did not see it but our dog, who stays in the house, alerted us to it. She was sitting on the ground when we got to her. She could not get up. We brought her and her friend, a 2 month old pekin into our garage and put them in an extra large dog crate. She had no open wounds, just some feathers missing on her back. Not a lot though. You can only see it if you spead her wings. She can use one leg but not the other. We gave her poultry electrolytes and vitamins in her water, warmed her up briefly with a heating pad on low setting. Also, gave her .2cc of 1.5mg meloxicam. She would eat, drink and poop. I checked on her every hour through the night. My 19 yo daughter took her to the "chicken vet" this morning. The vet said that she had feeling in the foot and leg and to wait and see if she would start to use it. Not much help. My questions are: Have any of your ducks had an injury like this before? How did it go? What should I be doing or not doing? Thank so much for your help.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry for the problem. Recovery period will vary depend upon exactly what the damage is. Hopefully she is not dealing with a pelvic/hip/leg break. I would keep her somewhat confined to limit movement and allow her daily swim periods so that she could move the leg without putting pressure on it. Good luck for a speedy resolution.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry for the problem. Recovery period will vary depend upon exactly what the damage is. Hopefully she is not dealing with a pelvic/hip/leg break. I would keep her somewhat confined to limit movement and allow her daily swim periods so that she could move the leg without putting pressure on it. Good luck for a speedy resolution.

Do you think I should put Epsom salt pool when she swims? I read that somewhere but was afraid it would hurt her if she drinks it.

Back
Top Bottom