Duck beak chewed on, will/how much will it heel?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PheasantsFirst, Nov 23, 2013.

1. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    A week or so ago one of my 2 ducks was killed by a raccoon. I moved the surviving duck into a separate pen. On night the raccoon came and through the wire chewed some of her bill off. With some anti-biotic in her water and after a week she is eating fine and moving plenty. About a 1/8 to 1/4 of the bill is chewed off. Will the duck be fine in the long run, and how much of it will heel. I'll get pictures soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks as if she is doing great. She will not 'regrow' her bill, but it will heal. She was lucky. The coon left enough of the bill for her to eat effectively. Hopefully you have eliminated the coon - it will return.

3. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Thanks! We've had a trap out but haven't caught it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope she is in secure housing at night, since this is usually when Raccoons are out mostly. I'm thinking it won't give up till it has killed this duck too. I'm sorry for the loss of your other duck.

5. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You may want to consider getting another duck to keep her company. They really don't like to be alone.
    If you have the resources try wrapping the bottom 2' or so of the pen in 1/4" hardware cloth. It will prevent the raccoons from reaching in.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by