Duck behavior questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HortenseCumberbatch, Jun 26, 2011.

1. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Any tips on a good book on Duck Behaviors? I've read Story's guide to raising ducks.

AND: Am wondering. Sometimes my ducks open their mouths like they're about to quack then no sound comes out. Is that normal? Thanks.

2. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Sorry, I can't answer why they do it. But my 10 wk old runners still do this, along with the leg stretches. [​IMG]

3. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I wonder if they're yawning or hissing at me. Do ducks hiss like geese?

4. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    No they don't hiss, no big deal, baby birds open their mouths instinctualy so the parents will put food in ther;0)

5. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Mine yawn all the time - super cute when they're stretching along with it, little wings and feet stretched as far as they can go - maybe this is what you're seeing!?

6. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    My ducks open their mouths and tremble when they are upset; they did it when I introduced the new ducks and they do it when my cat comes around, though not as much now that they are more used to him. Sometimes they do yawn, but its obvious they are yawning. When they were weeks old, if they got hot, their mouths wouldn't close, they would stay slightly open or they would pant a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by