Duck behavior toward ducklings

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
Hey so I lost my duck to swallowing piece of metal leaving my female pekin alone so I hatched and have three. Four total now. They’re 5 weeks so I am putting them outside for first time tonight. The past two weeks I bring them out during the day for couple hours to get accumulated to webby and accustomed to outside and our pond. Right now webby continues to quack and run away when the three approach her. They keep trying to swim with her or walk with her. I feel bad and thought after two weeks of this they’d finally get along- not sure what’s going on? Is it maybe because they aren’t in her barn at night? I’m wondering if I need to separate them tonight in barn in big dog cage or would they all be okay? There’s also to goats in there it’s actually a shed converted to barn so it’s normal shed size I guess 12x12. Thanks

My black crested girl would run away and peck at my kahki ducklings every time I introduced them, my drake on the other hand loved them so eventually my girl started tolerating them. It may take time or she may just not like children.

My black crested girl would run away and peck at my kahki ducklings every time I introduced them, my drake on the other hand loved them so eventually my girl started tolerating them. It may take time or she may just not like children.
Ok thanks I’m hoping them being young and not sleep at night with her are reasons. Lol I hatched these ducks for her to not be alone. I did end up using the cage just in case it looks to me like a good thing she’s sleeping fairly close to them

Attachments

• 0B8133E4-B4F8-4A5F-BF23-EA2612271E15.png
    0B8133E4-B4F8-4A5F-BF23-EA2612271E15.png
    906.5 KB · Views: 7
Ok thanks I’m hoping them being young and not sleep at night with her are reasons. Lol I hatched these ducks for her to not be alone. I did end up using the cage just in case it looks to me like a good thing she’s sleeping fairly close to them
That’s good, really it just takes time. I actually got these two black crested ducks because some one got them for her single duck because she thought it was lonely, it acted the same way upon introductions to them and after quite a long time later gave them to me. I don’t think she gave them enough time together to bond, and never had them separated by something they could still visit through. Last I talked to her, her duck was “acting like a dog, chasing cats and bikes” which to me means that she’s lonely and needs to be with a flock. But she won’t get her any more ducks or let me take her(only to board during the winters, which i couldn’t do this year :()

That’s good, really it just takes time. I actually got these two black crested ducks because some one got them for her single duck because she thought it was lonely, it acted the same way upon introductions to them and after quite a long time later gave them to me. I don’t think she gave them enough time together to bond, and never had them separated by something they could still visit through. Last I talked to her, her duck was “acting like a dog, chasing cats and bikes” which to me means that she’s lonely and needs to be with a flock. But she won’t get her any more ducks or let me take her(only to board during the winters, which i couldn’t do this year :()
Aw I agree that sounds like she wants to others to be with. That was nice that you took the two in. And yup that’s what my duck started doing basically because she follows the goats everywhere which when the other duck was alive she didn’t do so I feel like their personality and behaviors can change . She always followed my other duck female as well who was the leader so I just know she has to want other ducks. I’m hoping you’re right and with time and time to get used to each other through the cage will eventually work out

Your ducks will get along eventually. Each set of ducks are different. I have had ducks integrated into my flock quickly with in a couple weeks. Others take a few months or more. My current new young ducks scare my adult ducks. Them sleeping together in the coop will help them work out issues, but it will still take time. She is outnumbered and that can be scary for some ducks. It sounds like they are off to a really good start, especially since your older female is not being aggressive.

That’s great to hear thanks for the reply that makes me feel better I’m trying my best to figure this out for her because I know she wants company. That makes sense being out numbered. I just bring them three out to her and they were going in with my at night but now being out with her getting familiar even overnight while they’re in cage I’m hoping works and sounds like it will from what you’re saying it just take time. Ok good to know because no way is she being aggressive and she has that in her be sure she’s actually aggressive towards the Turkeys and bites their butts lol.

Integrations can be stressful sometimes. You care for all your ducks and want them to be happy. And watching them be unhappy, even for a brief time, can be hard.
Yup I just want to make her happy since she’s alone but stressing that she quacks and runs from them hopefully slow integration with safe spaces and barriers helps ease and smooth this process

Back
Top Bottom