Duck behaviors?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by karobillard, Jul 6, 2016.

1. karobillard

karobillard New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    I have 4 ducks that are 3 weeks old now. Their gender is still unknown. One duck has been a bully the past few days. Will chase the other 3 around and pluck their feathers out anywhere he can grab. Should I be worried or is this "normal" duckling behavior?
    Thanks!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Do they get pool time? Do they have space to get away from each other a bit? Do they get to go outside?

Just thinking there has to be some stimulus they need or something. I have had ducklings but it has been years and years. I don't recall any bully ducklings in my lot but I could be foggy as it has been a long long time.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, if bored they get upset. Duckling need play time just like a puppy. If confined to a small space they hate it.
    Pools, grass, mud puddles. The dog, Truck mud flaps....Toys.....

4. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes they need play time. They also need an adequate diet. What is their life like right now?

5. karobillard

karobillard New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    Thank you everyone!
    They have playtime and go swimming every day. I could but some toys to try that out if they're not getting stimulated enough.

6. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    What's their diet? That can play a big part...

7. karobillard

karobillard New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    They are on a starter feed with brewers yeast supplemented a few time a week. They also get fruits and leafy greens when they free range

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by