Duck Being Picked On- Would Like Some Advice!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by uncredibless33, Aug 27, 2016.

1. uncredibless33

uncredibless33 Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    I have 5 ducks right now- two Appleyard crosses, one cayuga, and two anconas. They've lived together peacefully since last month, until one of our Appleyard cross hens decided to pick on our Ancona drake. The other Ancona and the second Appleyard joined in, and now the little drake hangs out by himself. He can't get close to them without being bullied.

What do you think I should do? He loves the company of other ducks, and acts like what I can only explain as being depressed. Should I get him a hen to be friends with? Or rehome him? Advice is much appreciated.

2. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Is he the only drake?

3. uncredibless33

May 19, 2016
    No, we have an older Cayuga drake as well, but he's never made an aggressive move towards the Ancona.

4. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    We had too many drakes in our flock at one point, and they kept driving away one drake. Not sure why it is the girls picking on him. Rehoming him might be the best choice, unless you can get more girls. Recommended ratios are usually 1 drake to 5 ducks. However, we have 2 drakes and 12 girls, and that's still too many! [​IMG] Poor drakes have a bad lot in life.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Only you can decide what is best....Good luck

6. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    The hens will choose their drake and your girls may prefer the one over the other for whatever reason. They will chase off another drake and even tell off the other hens if they get close to their mate.

You can try an arranged marriage by forcing a hen to spend more time with the second rate drake but in my experience she will not give up on her chosen mate as long as she can see or hear him. I have literally separated ducks only to have them stay side by side with the fence between them. They are loyal once they are bonded so you are not likely to change that.

You could find a bride for the drake and set them up in honeymoon suite to let them bond or you can let the drake try to win over a hen that does not fancy him but he should have a partner to keep him happy.

Ducks do get depressed without constant companionship. He needs someone to bob heads with but until that happens he will try to stay with the group no matter how much they tell him off.

7. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    It is actually good when hens and drakes raised together as brothers and sisters prefer unrelated mates because it might prevent them from inbreeding. They could just be acting out a survival mechanism that causes the hens to distance themselves from their "brother" as they become sexually mature.

8. uncredibless33

May 19, 2016
    We've found a home for the two hens (one actually turned out to be a young drake, much to my surprise), which is probably what our problem was. We were originally planning to rehome the two of them anyways so it didn't bug us too much. We'll be getting a some hens for our drakes shortly. Thank you for the advice everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by