1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck being punished by one other!! help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by forgate1, Jan 27, 2015.

1. forgate1

forgate1 New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Hello, I'm new to this forum so pls bear with me.
    I have three ducks all from ducklings and they are now fully grown. We were told they were all females however we have since realised we definitely have a Male.
    They've been living happily for months as a three, however this week the maoe has seriously been targeting of the otherS, I can only assume the other is also a male as it's cercertainly not in a mating way... It's physically targeting, not letting the duck on the pond, chasing him/her away every time it comes close.
    Anyone seen this before? Any advise for me please...silly I know but I'm finding incredibly uupsetting to watch and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do...
    Please any views would be appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sadly enough what you are seeing is pretty normal duck behavior. We are rapidly approaching the breeding season, and the dominant drake does not want the subordinate near his mate. It's natures way of assuring that HIS genes get to carry on. As long as the subordinate is not being physically injured and is getting enough to eat he should be fine. Adding another hen might or might not help the situation.

1 person likes this.
  3. forgate1

forgate1 New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Thank you, there are some feathers about but he/she doesn't seem to be hurt And does seem to be eating ok at the minute.
    I had considered a new female, however concerned the alpha male will take ownership of her aswell and make things worse... Silly I know as it's all normal but I can't help but fret... Love my little ducks. Thanks again for the response.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's very possible that the dominant drake would claim both hens. Poultry society can frequently appear cruel, but 'it is what it is'. Your concern is totally understandable.

5. forgate1

forgate1 New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Thank you, I'll just have to see how they continue this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by