Duck bil injury

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Deester, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Deester

Deester Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Just went to take my girls in and noticed one bleeding. Her bill has a bit of a nick in it and a tiny crack maybe 1/2" at most. Were having a snow storm here. I think something must have frozen and she pulled on it. I had a problem with one of the back claws on the foot once froze on something.

We have 3 Cayuga's. Should I be more concerned with the bleeding or the injury. It's not big but was bleeding. Any experience out there with this? She is healthy otherwise.

Denise

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd put some ACV into their drinking water it's good for killing off bad bacteria and also aids in healing, 1-2 Tabs to 1 gal of water.Keep us updated on how she is doing. ACV also works as a tonic for out water fowl and us. [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with Miss Lydia, keep up the ACV for four or five days, seems to me. You could also wipe a little triple antibiotic ointment across the bill a couple of times a day especially at night.

4. Deester

Deester Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Thanks!

She seems to be fine. I checked on her after an hour and the bleeding stopped on it's own. This morning she looks fine. What is ACV and where do I get it?
    I have the ointment . That won't be harmful when it gets in the water?

Thank so much!

Denise

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    ACV Apple Cider Vinegar, if you can get Un pasterized that would be best but if not then get reg. and it's very healthy to use just don't put it into galvanized cans. good info on ACV http://keeping-chickens.me.uk/what-to-keep-in-stock/apple-cider-vinegar

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by