Duck bitten by dog

Jenjenners

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Hilo, Hawaii
Help!!

Ugh. Wasn’t actually the dog’s fault, somehow Fred got in the fenced yard w/the dogs (but not the other ducks? Usually he’s the leader...). Luckily we heard a commotion and were able to get him out, but he’s definitely got a bite wound.

I have povodine iodine/betadine, Neosporin/bacitracin ointment and vet wrap on hand (and hydrogen peroxide). Washed it w/water so far and cleaned away the feathers sticking to it. He’s acting ok after being in a bit of shock, just wondering why he’s in the bathtub at this point. Cannot get in to vet today. Best way to clean/cover? Oral antibiotics? I can get to feed store before closing, I think.

Poor guy. 🥺. Please help!
E0FC122B-375A-4B2C-BA84-C17083323417.jpeg
54675B0D-F7A7-48C3-816A-10609DFC1077.jpeg
7B112F89-582E-4F9A-9DBC-990F3475DD09.jpeg

Might need a stitch or two but
If the bleeding has stopped and infection is controlled he should be fine. Baby him and keep him immobile for a few days. Dog crate or cardbord box should be enough. food water
I would spread a mixed blend of curcumin or cumin the spice (trust me) and coconut oil on every day as well.

Last edited:
If the bleeding has stopped and infection is controlled he should be fine. Baby him and keep him immobile for a few days. Dog crate or cardbord box should be enough. food water
I would spread a mixed blend of curcumin or cumin the spice (trust me) and coconut oil on every day as well.
Bleeding stopped, coated in betadine, he’s acting fine for now—should I pack wound w/a bit of Neosporin (just in open parts?). Is there an otc oral antibiotic I can get at tractor supply that would be safe?

If you've already flushed the wound, I would apply a generous coating of an antibacterial ointment, the Neosporin you have will work. Due to the location of the wound, I don't think you'll be able to bandage without it slipping. If you can take him to the vet tomorrow, I would just keep him in your bathtub for now. If you can't take him to the vet for a few days, I would go to your feed store and pick up some Penicillin G, a few syringes, and some 22 gauge needles.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-penicillin-injectable-500cc

Bleeding stopped, coated in betadine, he’s acting fine for now—should I pack wound w/a bit of Neosporin (just in open parts?). Is there an otc oral antibiotic I can get at tractor supply that would be safe?
I would imagine so OTC ANTI B. Never hurts to give them for two weeks be sure to stay on the dose schedule. Keep the air and water out of the wound until healed. All you are doing is great. I hope the little fella pulls through.

Used to be a vet tech long ago, so I’m ok giving injections, going to go run to Tractor Supply. Think I still have sterile syringes from a sick goat a while back, but will probably get new just in case. Prefer oral, but injections might be safer to avoid infection. If I get the injectable, what is dosage for a duck? And should I get some kind of wound coat while I’m there too? Only 4pm here so I have time. Put him back w/his buddies for now in big grassy yard (not near dogs!) until I get back (less stressful) but emptied all their pools so he can’t swim. Luckily it’s on top so won’t get dirty from sitting.

Used to be a vet tech long ago, so I’m ok giving injections, going to go run to Tractor Supply. Think I still have sterile syringes from a sick goat a while back, but will probably get new just in case. Prefer oral, but injections might be safer to avoid infection. If I get the injectable, what is dosage for a duck? And should I get some kind of wound coat while I’m there too? Only 4pm here so I have time. Put him back w/his buddies for now in big grassy yard (not near dogs!) until I get back (less stressful) but emptied all their pools so he can’t swim. Luckily it’s on top so won’t get dirty from sitting.

I think it would be best that he be kept inside to avoid infection and further contamination of the wound even though he'll be a little stressed.

For the Pen G, you would want to give 0.15ml into the breast tissue, once a day, or every two days. The ointment will be fine for maintaining the wound.

1603678260479.png
1603678274532.png

https://www.shagbarkbantams.com/using-injectable-medications/
https://lafeber.com/vet/intramuscul...r IM injections in,for IM injections in birds.

Got sterile saline from drug store, rinsed it one more time, covered area in Betadine again, and put a bit of Neosporin over the wounds. He’s chillin’ in his hospital kennel next to my bed. (They used to sleep inside as babies, so he seems pretty blasé about it all). Seems good for now, will give injection of PenG in am when I’m a bit braver. So far acting quite like himself, crossing fingers that he’ll be ok if we can avoid infection.

Attachments

• 11E86BB9-E457-40EE-936B-3DA9FE84277E.jpeg
    11E86BB9-E457-40EE-936B-3DA9FE84277E.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 2
  • BF2CF567-47F4-4FC2-8D8E-44DE4C02D017.jpeg
    BF2CF567-47F4-4FC2-8D8E-44DE4C02D017.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom