Squishychicken

Songster
Oct 13, 2017
North carolina
@silkie10
So I came home today and pulling up to the house heard my ducks and chickens going off louder then normal. I though "huh that's odd somethin must be up". I was gonna go back there but I wanted to run inside and check to see if any of my chicks hatched. So I go inside a minute later my sister comes running inside saying "there's a a snake in the duck coop". So I ran outside only to find my ducks inside the coop with the snake. So I shoed them out and saw one of my females limping. Picked her up gave her to my sister to hold while I caught the snake. It was a rat snake thankfully nothin poisonous. Caught the snake took it away and let it go.

Anyways....examining the duck I found some blood and what looked like half punctured skin right were her leg met a hip so her upper thigh. The bite wasent deep nor bleeding so I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide, then put on Neosporin, lavender, sandalwood (for snake bites) and wrapped it in gauze and medical tape. Looking under her wings I saw three puncture wounds on one wing and two punctures on the other. They are real close to the crook of her outer wing along that big bone were her elbow would be. Finding these I repeated the process minus the wrapping. Got some nutri drench and Gatorade in her. It was getting dark so I gave her water and put her in a crate with a deep layer of shavings on the bottom. She will not put weight on her leg and just drags it around flipping her wings to propel her forward. I put her to bed and I'll see how she is in the morning. I think she was trying to fight it off cause my drakes an idiot and was raised with chickens so he's not the best. She is the only one hurt out of three ducks.

Any suggestions on what to do? Am I doing all I can?

Here is pics of her wings I forgot to get a leg one before I wrapped it. They arnt deep and arnt bleeding.
20180513_200842.jpg

20180513_200702.jpg

I think you did a fine job of FIRST AID. I have no further suggestions as never dealt with such. See how duck is in a day or so. I think she will recover well on her own. If the snake was venomous, I think your duck would have no chance to survive.
I have encountered a dog attack on one of my chickens. Thought chicken would not make it at all. Was really injured severely. Limp when I found her. She did survive and became somewhat well, with other issues, but did live.
My suggestion for you is to see if you can secure your duck housing/run area from snake. I know it is difficult since the snake is able to climb, and get thru small openings.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Sounds like you did great so far. Snake bites can have a lot of bacteria in them since they puncture deep and don’t bleed much, so it’s like injecting needles of nastiness. I would clean it once or twice a day but not with peroxide. Try betadine or even soap and water, but try and really flush those out. Probably don’t need to wrap it either. You’ve got one brave duck!

@silkie10
So I came home today and pulling up to the house heard my ducks and chickens going off louder then normal. I though "huh that's odd somethin must be up". I was gonna go back there but I wanted to run inside and check to see if any of my chicks hatched. So I go inside a minute later my sister comes running inside saying "there's a a snake in the duck coop". So I ran outside only to find my ducks inside the coop with the snake. So I shoed them out and saw one of my females limping. Picked her up gave her to my sister to hold while I caught the snake. It was a rat snake thankfully nothin poisonous. Caught the snake took it away and let it go.

Anyways....examining the duck I found some blood and what looked like half punctured skin right were her leg met a hip so her upper thigh. The bite wasent deep nor bleeding so I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide, then put on Neosporin, lavender, sandalwood (for snake bites) and wrapped it in gauze and medical tape. Looking under her wings I saw three puncture wounds on one wing and two punctures on the other. They are real close to the crook of her outer wing along that big bone were her elbow would be. Finding these I repeated the process minus the wrapping. Got some nutri drench and Gatorade in her. It was getting dark so I gave her water and put her in a crate with a deep layer of shavings on the bottom. She will not put weight on her leg and just drags it around flipping her wings to propel her forward. I put her to bed and I'll see how she is in the morning. I think she was trying to fight it off cause my drakes an idiot and was raised with chickens so he's not the best. She is the only one hurt out of three ducks.

Any suggestions on what to do? Am I doing all I can?

Here is pics of her wings I forgot to get a leg one before I wrapped it. They arnt deep and arnt bleeding.
View attachment 1387183

View attachment 1387185
savannah, that was awesome.
which duck was it?

Shouldve killed the snake, it'll be back.

My dad drove it a long long ways away we prefer to relocate the rat snakes cause they keep the mice population down but yes this one I would have killed cause it harmed my birds but like i said I was busy with the hurt duck.

Poor duck. How is she doing?
What kind of snake was it? I am going to say - dead if it were here. :eek:
It was a rat snake she is doing fine for now....limping still but she s gotten the hang of swinging her leg to push her forward better.
savannah, that was awesome.
which duck was it?

It was scout the Rouen

Back
Top Bottom