Duck bonded with rooster but want her to bond with new duck

HilaryAkin

Songster
May 23, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
I had 2 ducks and 5 hens and 1 rooster, all gotten at the same time. One of the ducks died and the remaining duck has bonded with the rooster but I see it’s hard for the duck to keep up with the chickens. I have gotten another duck to be a companion with my other one but the other one is always trying to be with the rooster still. Any suggestions on how to get my ducks to bond?

Well, since the two have developed a bond, you could leave things the way they are for now. Wait and see what happens between the first duck and the new one. Since the ducks are slower than the chickens, perhaps that will be what’s needed for the first duck to show an interest in the new one (both always behind could draw the first ducks attention to the new one). If the rooster’s not very bonded to the duck…. even better. You could also separate the two ducks temporarily…. allowing them enough time to get to know one another without distraction. Good wishes!

So, it’s a long story but I have the new duckling in our heated garage growing and have put the other bonded with the rooster duck in there with here at night especially since it’s so cold here and the chickens won’t sleep with the one older duck. I feel bad for the old duck, taking her from what she’d consider her family of hens and rooster, but if it makes sense to leave the ducks together for a while alone to bind, I’ll for sure do that

Well, since the two have developed a bond, you could leave things the way they are for now. Wait and see what happens between the first duck and the new one. Since the ducks are slower than the chickens, perhaps that will be what’s needed for the first duck to show an interest in the new one (both always behind could draw the first ducks attention to the new one). If the rooster’s not very bonded to the duck…. even better. You could also separate the two ducks temporarily…. allowing them enough time to get to know one another without distraction. Good wishes!
Yes! That was part of the reason for the new one, the older one can’t keep up with the chickens so I felt like a partner duck would be nice. Unfortunately, the new duck has a limp from her shipping to my house so awkward and gimpy. She can’t move too well

Yes! That was part of the reason for the new one, the older one can’t keep up with the chickens so I felt like a partner duck would be nice. Unfortunately, the new duck has a limp from her shipping to my house so awkward and gimpy. She can’t move too well
Awwww!…. I hope the leg heals soon. In the meantime, great time for them to get to know each other.

Back
Top Bottom