Duck bonding and breeds

Elocyn

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2016
Hi,

We lost one of our two completely inseparable khaki campbell x ducks yesterday and we're concerned about our remaining duck being alone. She seems to be pining for her friend, so we've decided to get her another friend asap. This is probably a dumb question, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how important it is to get one of the same breed or whether ducks tend to bond equally as well with different breeds?

Thanks!

Sorry for your loss...
But its good that youre gonna get another duck. Ducks can get very lonely, they are flock birds after all
wink.png

They can bond just fine with other ducks (someone here has a khaki and a pekin together. I keep khakis and saxony, they dont mix because they have their own drakes, who dont like the other drakes much, but the girls do get along fine).

When you put them together, you should put them in a look no touch pen at first, so they can get used to each other before you put them in the same pen. Often people skip that part, and they can have problems.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help! That's very reassuring. Yeah, I agree about ensuring that social animals are not kept alone - it seems very cruel to me. I'll definitely keep them apart for a week or two before introducing them.

Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom