Duck Botulism

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taytheducklover, Jul 22, 2013.

1. taytheducklover

taytheducklover In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    About two weeks ago I found one of my ducks floating in our new pond, dead. Then two days ago I found another one dead. [​IMG] Nothing had gotten into our pen, no wounds on them, and they weren't that old. One's a female Khaki Campbell and the other one is a Black Runner Drake. I've been looking at many sites for a solutions to this. I've found that you need to flush the ducks with epsom salt, but not sure. I just don't want this happening to anymore, especially since I'm getting an order of ducklings in soon and I don't want to loose anymore ducks. I have a feeling its Duck Botulism. Anything I can put in the pond to kill the bacteria, the pond has a filter/fountain to keep the water moving. Anything is helpful.

2. charlindabob

charlindabob Songster

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Just a thought and the first thing that comes to mind. Are you sure there are no injuries? I am thinking a high powered BB or pellet gun user could be your culprit.

3. taytheducklover

Jun 28, 2012
    Our first one drowned and our second one was found inside the pen. I live with about 4 other neighbors out in the country and none of them would do that, but thanks for the advice.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

5. taytheducklover

Jun 28, 2012
    Okay, thank you very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by