Duck Breathing Quickly

kyle92

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
A few days ago I noticed one of my one year old white layers was breathing fast, shallow breaths and her tail was slightly bobbing up and down, almost like she was flexing and un-flexing her abdomen with each breath. There doesn't seem to be any wheezing or other noises, just quick breathing. This has been on and off for about four days now. Sometimes she'll be panting very fast with her mouth slightly open and other times it seems on pace with the others in the flock. She doesn't appear to be doing it when foraging or swimming, just when she's standing still or resting. I originally thought it was the heat or her nares were clogged, but it was cloudy and cool today and her nares look clear so I'm not sure either of those are the issue. Other than this she seems totally normal. She's eating, drinking, and laying normally and her energy level is the same as the other ducks. Not sure if these are the beginning stages of a more serious respiratory issue or if I'm just being paranoid. I tried searching the forum for similar issues, but any videos I found seemed to be way more intense than the symptoms she's exhibiting. I've attached a video of her breathing. Any advice would be appreciated.

A few days ago I noticed one of my one year old white layers was breathing fast, shallow breaths and her tail was slightly bobbing up and down, almost like she was flexing and un-flexing her abdomen with each breath. There doesn't seem to be any wheezing or other noises, just quick breathing. This has been on and off for about four days now. Sometimes she'll be panting very fast with her mouth slightly open and other times it seems on pace with the others in the flock. She doesn't appear to be doing it when foraging or swimming, just when she's standing still or resting. I originally thought it was the heat or her nares were clogged, but it was cloudy and cool today and her nares look clear so I'm not sure either of those are the issue. Other than this she seems totally normal. She's eating, drinking, and laying normally and her energy level is the same as the other ducks. Not sure if these are the beginning stages of a more serious respiratory issue or if I'm just being paranoid. I tried searching the forum for similar issues, but any videos I found seemed to be way more intense than the symptoms she's exhibiting. I've attached a video of her breathing. Any advice would be appreciated.

How is her laying?

How is her laying?

Her laying has been normal. We have five ducks and we've been getting five eggs every day so I think her egg production is okay. Unless one duck has been laying two per day but I'm not sure how rare that is.

Her laying has been normal. We have five ducks and we've been getting five eggs every day so I think her egg production is okay. Unless one duck has been laying two per day but I'm not sure how rare that is.
We get reports of that happening occasionally, but not daily for multiple days, and they are usually soft shells. So I assume she is laying fine. I asked because sometimes tail bobbing and slight panting can be a sign of reproductive issues.

Back
Top Bottom