Duck Breed - Any guesses?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gdhp, Aug 18, 2011.

1. gdhp

gdhp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Scilly
    We have four ducks. Two drakes two girls.

Two girls I have no idea of the breed. They were given to us by a local farmer. No idea what they are. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    Spencer on the left and Sharon on the right for those that like names.

The two drakes we bought as eggs off ebay. I would guess they are the same breed. Officially we bought cayuga eggs (which you can see they are not), I later emailed the woman I bought them off asking if she could tell me what breed they were if they were not cayuga, she was adamant they were 'miniature apricot' - given they are huge ducks, and not exactly apricot, that breed doesn't seem to fit either. I've been guessing saxony recently. Just before they matured they both had the markings of a classic feminine saxony (can upload photo if that helps?) but maybe someone has a better idea what they are?

[​IMG]
    Persephone on the left and Jocasta on the right. Yes, that's right, only one of our 4 ducks has the right gender name.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So how big are the girls? You say the boys are huge. Eight pounds?

The white one looks like a call mix to me, but without being sure of the size, I may be way, way off.

Nice ducks, by the way. The other girl I'd guess to be a rouen mix.

3. gdhp

gdhp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Scilly
    I would say too big to be call. The girls certainly aren't small. Will try and find some photo that gives comparison.

EDIT:

Best photo I could find to give an idea of size. That is a bath (as in the human variety) they are in. Sorry it's not a good photo, but should give an idea of size. Can take a better more fit for purpose one tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. gdhp

gdhp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Scilly
    And thank you for the compliments. I spend most of my life obsessing over them. It's nice to have a community where I can share my duck based joys.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The boys (1st tub picture) are beautiful, wish I could help on breed. Maybe a mix, Rouen? The girls are adorable, the one on the left (brown tones) looks Rouen like. The white is stunning, but no idea breed. If they are medium/small I would guess her a white mallard. Great birds you have no matter they are.

Shellie

6. gdhp

gdhp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Scilly
    Oddly enough the boy on the right has changed a few of his markings again in the last few weeks. Now gone a beautiful mixture of orange and white. Will try and get a photo tomorrow. He is a stunning bird though.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The only larger duck with a pink bill I can find online is Aylesbury. I wonder if she's got some of that in her background?

8. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    No idea what the men are. The ladys, the brown one is a rouen, for sure. And the white one is a pekin. And the boys do kinda look like a mallard call mix pastel to be exact.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If both the males and females are on the large size, I would guess barnyard quality Rouens. The white one looks like my Stanbridge White, which is a Magpie with no color. The white is not a Pekin, which is what most large white ducks are, and I really don't think the white is an Alyesbury, which is a very rare duck, and looks nothing like that one.

If the others are Rouens, then the white might be a Rouen Pekin cross.

It's beyond me why anyone would sell Rouen egss as Cayuga, because people will purchase Rouens quite happily. It's not like you can't sell them and the only way to sell them is to lie about what they are.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I love your ducks and I just am amazed at how clean that water is, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by