Duck Breed Focus - Aylesbury

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Aylesbury duck originates from the early 18th Century from the town of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, England where it became a profitable cottage industry supplying the demands of London’s Markets. Originally called ‘White English’ until 1815, they became known as Aylesbury Ducks. The most popular area in Aylesbury (and also one of the poorest), where the ducks were reared became known as ‘Duck End’. The ducks often lived inside the cottages of their owners, which made conditions very unsanitary.
The First World War negatively affected the duck industry in Buckinghamshire, and by the 1950's, there was only one good flock of this breed left. The Second World War further affected the breed and by then, Duck rearing in Aylesbury had almost disappeared completely. During the late 1900's however, the Aylesbury began to gain popularity a bit and with this interest, the breed were further developed and by the 20th century, the Aylesbury had been split into meat and show bird categories.
Larger duck rearing industries started to supply the demand for duck meat and eggs and the Pekin duck that was introduced in 1873 had been bred specifically for eggs and meat, which helped diminish the popularity of the Aylesbury. Today, the Aylesbury breed is on endangered species lists, one of which being the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy.
Details:

Purpose: Dual, egg laying and meat
Egg colour: White, tinted, green
Breed colour/variety: White plumage, pink bill, orange feet
Weight: Drake, 11 lbs; Duck 10 lbs

Pic by @chickfinland

Pic by @chickfinland

Pic by @nissa_loves_cats

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/aylesbury

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/263887/aylesbury-ducks/0_30

Do you own Aylesbury ducks? Are you an Aylesbury breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Thank you Sumi for showcasing this breed. I hope we have some members who have them and they will show alot of pics and comments about them. It's wonderful they were not lost forever.

Thank you Sumi for showcasing this breed. I hope we have some members who have them and they will show alot of pics and comments about them. It's wonderful they were not lost forever.

x2 on Miss Lydia's comments!

The pure Aylesbury are slow growing massive birds with WHITE/PINKISH beak - never orange or yellow. Most white ducks in UK are advertised as Aylesbury but most of them are crosses with pekin (not even pure pekin...).
I love the pure exhibition Aylesbury. I very read that there only two herds of pure commercial Aylesbury left in the UK
1f622.png

The pure Aylesbury are slow growing massive birds with WHITE/PINKISH beak - never orange or yellow. Most white ducks in UK are advertised as Aylesbury but most of them are crosses with pekin (not even pure pekin...).
I love the pure exhibition Aylesbury. I very read that there only two herds of pure commercial Aylesbury left in the UK
1f622.png
That's sad. Maybe you should begin to bring them back @macgro7

That's sad. Maybe you should begin to bring them back @macgro7

I have a dilemma: should I breed exhibition Aylesbury or even more endangered and much smaller (cheaper to feed) Dutch Hookbills? At the moment I don't have the facilities to keep both breeds and breed them true to their breed standards as I would have keep them together
1f622.png

Last edited:
I have a dilemma: should I breed exhibition Aylesbury or even more endangered and much smaller (cheaper to feed) Dutch Hookbills? At the moment I don't have the facilities to keep both breeds and breed them true to their breed standards as I would have keep them together
1f622.png
If it was me having to make this decision I'd probably want to go with the more endangered. Plus i love the look of the Hook Bill.

Back
Top Bottom