Duck Breed Focus - Black East Indie

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Black East Indie is the oldest known breed of domestic bantam duck. Despite the breed's exotic name, it was not developed in Southeast Asia, but in the USA in the 19th century. An ornamental breed, it is very popular as exhibition breed and is best known for its striking appearance. Black East Indian ducks are striking to look at, having jet black bills and a beetle green iridescent sheen to their plumage that can only be seen at certain angles as the light reflects off it. This colour gene is also found in the Cayuga duck breed. Female ducks have extended black genes and as a result will get white patches on them after their first year of life. This is normal and no amount of breed selection will remove this.

A bantam breed weighing around 1-2 pounds, East Indies are largely kept by fanciers for exhibition purposes. Being small in size, they are relatively good fliers, so care should be taken when keeping them confined.

The breed was admitted to the British Poultry Standard ins in 1865 and the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1874 and are very popular among breeders.

An interesting characteristic of the East Indie is its egg color. Early in the laying season their eggs are black or dark grey, before they gradually change to light grey or even blue.

Details:

Purpose: Exhibition, ornamental
Eggs: 40 to 100 eggs annually

Origin: U.S.A
Weight: Drake: 2lb, Duck: 1.5-1.7lb
Classification: Bantam

Pic by @Addicted2Quack

Pic by @Daniel-Sorensen

Pic by @Oscarsgravett

Pic by @1lpoock

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/591556/black-east-indie-duck/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-in-the-bator-first-out-picson-19-30-40/0_30

Do you own Black East Indies? Are you a Black East Indie breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Thanks! My adoptee, who I think is a Black East Indie, was solid black last summer and a couple of months ago her first snow feathers began to appear. Just like the description above!

I wonder, though, if she may be some other breed, because when she started laying again - after a two month rest - her eggs are white. Hmmmm.

She may be a mix, after all…...

These are such beautiful ducks
love.gif

Wow, look at that sheen! Very pretty little ducks. And that little duckling is adorable.

This lil guy came waddling up our drive on Xmas day from a busy road. Resilient lil duck with loads of character. Bearing in mund we are in New Zealand, what breed is he likely to be?
( he sure trumped the new skateboard from Santa with the daughter!!)

It depends on the quality and who you are purchasing them from. I found some in my area for twenty bucks each female. 117$ is insanely outrageous, Is this Purely Poultry prices?

Back
Top Bottom