Duck Breed Focus - Mallard

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Mallard is one of the most recognized of all ducks and is the ancestor of several domestic duck breeds. The majority of Mallards are found in the wild with a wide distribution across the world, ranging from South Africa to the US and parts of Europe, where they inhabit available bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, wetlands, waterways. Domestic Mallards are gaining popularity as pets and also for exhibition, but being dabbling ducks, are known to be very destructive on lawns and if let lose in gardens.

In captivity, Mallards come in wild-type plumages, white, and other colours. These variants are increasing in availability.

Pic by @kada6305

Pic by @melissamerry

Pic by @melissamerry

Pic by @myfinefeatheredfriends

Pic by @LDinGrassValley

Pic by Sumi

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/mallard

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754458/mallard-thread-not-rouens-mallards/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/751474/post-you-mallard-duck-photos-here/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392502/snowy-mallards/0_30

Do you own Mallards? Are you a Mallard breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Our cute little Mallard "family" consists of two ducks and a drake: Celine, Sapphira, and Marshall.

During an unusually warm spell this winter, Sapphira set her mind to hatching us a few babies and becoming a devoted mommy. Candling showed great development of the ducklings after she had been broody for about 3 weeks. Sadly, after it once again turned chilly, she realized what season it truly was and abandoned the nest.

Our Mallards are incredible daily layers of beautiful little mint green eggs that add so much color to the basket. Honestly wouldn't be without them!

Marsh coming back into breeding plumage.

Sapphira

Marsh and Sapphira

Sapphira and Celine

Celine

Sapphira

-Alex

What surprised me the most about mallards was reading that their weights are generally a little under three pounds, making them smaller than my Runners!

They are lovely, lovely ducks and some day, maybe . . . .

I was also charmed by the white mallards.

2 of my juveniles this past season

Last edited:
Wonderful thread! Thank you @sumi
Do you own Mallards? Are you a Mallard breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

What made you decide to get this breed?
Have loved to watch them as a child growing up seeing them at the lake raising babies every year.
Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

Mostly for fun, I adore their personality. They are dual purpose here for eggs and table birds too.
What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
Tiny but resourceful, fun to watch, excellent mothers and very assertive for such a tiny duck..
Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
We have snow and wild type Mallards here. Haven't taken pictures but will soon and add!

What made you decide to get this breed? I was asked to rescue two wild ducklings abandoned on a boat where their mother nested. The person who found them didnt know how to care for them. They were just a few days old. I got two more from a breeder and successfully made an unrelated pair.
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? I own them for fun and also to see if I can get them to breed. They are considered pets and eat from my hand.
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? They are very smart and relatively easy to tame. The hen recently made a nest and has layed 5 eggs so far.

· What made you decide to get this breed?

Their beauty, many others ducks are prettier but there’s just something about the Mallard, guess they speak to my inner child.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

For fun, they are the most unique pet. Not sure who owns who. Most days they spend daytime hours inside. If I grab a nap, one will sleep on my chest along with me. On a towel or in diapers.... The duck, not me silly!

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?

I simply love their complex personalities. They can be loving, happy, angry, stubborn, curious, aloof, and shy; all within a few minuets time.

I have posted several, one was an image of Mr. Peepers that you've reposted in your thread. I’ll post a few more now...

Last edited:
My mallard hen has officially gone broody! Im in Georgia and cant believe she started so early. This is her first clutch so I hope she sees it thru to hatch!

Sun was shining yesterday, and my mallard drake was looking all pretty :)

My two mallard girls are sisters, but I can't tell them apart, haha! I don't even know which ones are in these pictures.

Back
Top Bottom