Duck Breed Focus - Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sumi, Dec 26, 2015.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The Muscovy duck breed is native to Mexico, Central and South America. The term "Muscovy" means "from the Moscow region", but these ducks are neither native there nor were they introduced there before they became known in Western Europe. It is not known exactly how the name came about, only that it very likely originated between 1550 and 1600, but it did not become widespread until some years later. The breed is unique in that it is the only domestic duck not to have descended from the Wild Mallard.
    Very popular as a domestic breed, males are quite large, growing to about 30 inches long. The females grow to roughly half the males' size. Their feet have sharp claws, which allows them to perch, but these can deliver nasty scratches, so care should be taken when handling them. Although the Muscovy duck is originally a tropical bird, it adapted well to cooler climates, thriving in weather as cold as 10 °F and is able to survive even colder conditions.
    Muscovies were standardised in the British Waterfowl Standard in 1954 and now have 9 different colour varieties standardised. They first entered the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1874 and are standardised in White, Black, Blue and Chocolate. The breed can also be found in Pied (white with any color mixed), Lavender, Bronze and Ripple.

Details:
    Purpose: Dual
    Egg laying: 60-150 annually
    Weight: Drakes 10-13 lbs; Ducks 5.5-6.6 lbs
    Broodiness: Average, good mothers

[​IMG]
    Pic by @ThreeBoysChicks

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Chicken Kisses
    [​IMG]
    Pic by @jmc

[​IMG]
    Pic by @lauralou

[​IMG]
    Pic by @ricklo

BYC Breed Reviews:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/muscovy

BYC Breed Discussions:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics/0_30
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/808184/incubation-progress-of-muscovy-eggs/0_30
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/801036/attention-muscovy-lovers/0_30

Do you own Muscovies? Are you a Muscovie breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Raenh, jchny2000 and hennible like this.
  2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I love this breed started out with them in June of 2004 quite by accident met this guy in the river below our home he'll be 12 in March

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]Just a few of mine. love all the colors they come in. [​IMG]And Mr. Personality Opie!! lol

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Raenh and pattyhen like this.
  4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They are beautiful, @Miss Lydia ! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Yes I've had them since 2005. Wonderful breed! Will always have some. Tried a few other breeds and like Muscovies the best.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We went for a drive yesterday and my DH stopped to let me look at a mixed flock of ducks and chickens in someone's yard. They had some Muscovies. Beautiful, beautiful birds!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful Scovy's Cottage Rose.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks!

9. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    I love these birds. Just got started with them this year. I'm actually looking for a drake without the white head gene to add to my flock somewhere within north-western Ohio or south-east to mid Michigan. Not easy! They're still pretty though, white headed or not.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by