Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Welsh Harlequin duck was created by Group Captain Leslie Bonnet who discovered a colour mutation among his flock of Khaki Campbells at his house in Hertfordshire in 1949. Bonnet began breeding selectively for the trait and he first named them Honey Campbells. This was later changed to Welsh Harlequins when Bonnet moved to a farm in North Wales around 1950 with his family. Bonnet claims in his 1960’s book “Practical Duck Keeping” that a flock would lay on average over 300 eggs per duck, per year.
Tragically, in 1968, a fox destroyed most of Bonnet’s flock of Welsh Harlequins but another breeder, Eddie Grayson, who had some of the original Welsh Harlequins, crossed them with the original strain of Khaki Campbells, reviving the breed and stabilising the colour form.
The Welsh Harlequin was first admitted to the British Standards in 1997 and the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection in 2001.
Breed Details:

Weight classification: Lightweight breed.
Purpose: Dual purpose. Great egg layer. Plucks clean.
Brooding: Welsh Harlequin hens will brood their own eggs.
Eggs/year: 300+
Colour: Silver Phase <p> Gold Phase

Pic by @duck&chickencrazy

Pic by @richie1

Pic by @Theeggboxtoo

Pic by @Wifezilla

Pic by @Zombified

BYC Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/welsh-harlequin

Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/124541/welsh-harlequin/0_30

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...breeding-or-want-to-breed-their-whs-talk/0_30

Do you own Welsh Harlequins? Are you a Welsh Harlequin breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

@sumi thanks for doing duck breed focus threads! I've never owned a duck but it's been so interesting to read and learn more about them. I hope there is a plan to eventually do breed focus threads on geese (you know, when you aren't busy, lol). Thanks again!

I have had them for a few years now and prefer them over any of the other ducks I have had. Yes, they are laying machines rarely missing a day til well into the fall and start up again in early spring. Have some hatching in a few days for a friend. They are so cute when they are little cant wait.

Last edited:
I am interested in getting some ducks but I am not sure what breed. I have narrowed it down to Indian runners, Welsh Harlequins, and cambells. Which breed is the best layer?

I have had them for a few years now and prefer them over any of the other ducks I have had. Yes, they are laying machines rarely missing a day til well into the fall and start up again in early spring. Have some hatching in a few days for a friend. They are so cute when they are little cant wait.
love.gif

Here's some pics of my welsh harlequin ducklings/ducks, they haven't started laying yet but the males are getting their adult feathers now so hopefully it won't be long. They are awesome ducks, mine are completely unafraid of humans and LOVE treats. Also in the morning they will all suddenly quack at the same time and it sounds like they are laughing which usually gets us laughing because it sounds so funny.

Last edited:
We love this breed! Good egg layer, friendly disposition, and excellent foragers. Beautiful too. I will upload pictures a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom