Duck breed identification-Updated with videos.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dean26, Mar 24, 2013.

1. dean26

dean26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    United kindgom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello to anyone reading this, Im 26, I live in the United Kingdom, and my name is Dean. I have kept ducks and chickens for many years but currently dont have any due to my parents dog. Ever since I was a child I have loved poultry especially ducks, so a couple of years ago I became a member of my local farm so that I could go and see theres and the other animals of course. I took lots of footage and photos and was/am very interested in there behaviour, all animal behaviour really.

Sadly these ducks wernt looked after properly and one by one the fox got them over the year, I guess the point of my post is for anyone who knows ducks very well to see if they can identify 3 of the ducks in my pictures. There were 20 ducks in total at the beginning and they were all domestic breeds originating from the Mallard (not muscovy) I like to think I know ducks pretty well but cant seem to I.D these three for sure. I had to screenshot these photos from film footage I took as these three ducks were the first to be taken by the fox, so apologies for the not so perfect quality of photos.

BOTH THE DUCKS IN THE FIRST PHOTO THE CREAM ONE AND THE SPECKLED ONE, I KNOW THE DRAKE IS A DARK CAMPBELL. AND THE DUCK IN THE SECOND PHOTO, IM PRETTY SURE THE DRAKE IS A SILVER APPLEYARD IN PHOTO TWO.

I hope this was the right place to post, as this is my first post on Backyard chickens, I hope to hear from anyone who can help me! :)

Kind regards

Dean

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Top picture, left to right:
    silver appleyard hen, campbell drake, I am inclined to say a swedish cross. From the picture she looks to have a nicely cut white bib, thus indicating a swedish, but she's not quite the right color. Maybe a blue swedish/buff cross?

Bottom picture:
    Looks like a welsh harlequin hen and silver appleyard drake

1 person likes this.
  3. dean26

dean26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    United kindgom
    you seem to know your ducks! my only thought is the cream duck with the white bib could be a very light khaki campbell as ive seen khakis with white bibs. the mallard coloured hen in photo two had two identical "sisters" who were taller and indian runners, but this duck had a very low posture, maybe a hybrid cross? if i can i will upload videos of them tomorrow to see if that helps.

Just uploaded videos the first video is of the group containing cream mystery duck.

The second video is of the mallard/runner looking duck, who if anyone who can I.D be most grateful. :)

The third video is of the some of the ducks returning home after a day foraging in the fields/woods.

Many thanks everyone :) Dean

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by