Duck Breed Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BirdCrazy11, Mar 27, 2017.

1. BirdCrazy11

BirdCrazy11 New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    Hi everyone! I am going to be getting some ducks in June for 4-H showmanship event, but I don't know what breeds to get. I was hoping that everyone would give me their top five duck breed recommendations ranked from your top recommendation to your last. Thank you all so much!

2. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Hello, and Welcome to BYC!
    Here are mine:

1) Cayugas - because they're beautiful and friendly
    2) Welsh Harlequins - They are pretty and have a good rep about being friendly
    3) Blue Swedish, because they are pretty
    4) Call ducks - I know I'll never own any, but they are so small and adorable!!
    5) Anconas - Because they have cute spots [​IMG]

I've only owned one of these breeds (Cayugas) but am getting the top three duck breeds in a week from now! It sort of depends on your situation, too. Despite their adorableness, Call ducks have a rep for being loud and can fly. If those dont work for you, then don't get one. It also depends on what you want them for. Khaki Campbells are good layers, but some can fly. All duck breeds have the potential to be good, friendly pets - just spend a lot of time with them, and give them treats and praise. Here's a good link:

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=15003059

3. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Do the reasons have to be educated reasons.... because like @QuackSpeak mine are mostly superficial reasons...

1. Pekin (the Aflac duck... so precious and friendly)
    2. Rouen (don't have one but they're so cute)
    3. Cayuga (black beauty of ducks)
    4. Buff (I have 3 and daaaaang gorgeous)
    5. Blue Swedish (I have one. Really cute)

4. BirdCrazy11

BirdCrazy11 New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    Thank you so much! I will be sure to post pictures of my little babies in june!

5. BirdCrazy11

BirdCrazy11 New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    Thank you for your recomendations! Belive it or not, I was going to get mine from Metzer Farms [​IMG]! bolth of you helped me make my final desions. I am going to get one pair of each breed listed below,
    Cayugas
    Welsh Harliquens
    Blue Sweedish
    Khaki Cambels
    Saxoney (A recomendation from a family member)

Thank you all! (P.S. @QuackSpeak don't forget to post pictures of your new babies! LOL [​IMG])

6. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    How'd you know? [​IMG] I totally haven't been posting the news all over BYC.. [​IMG]

Haha thank you; I'll make sure to post lots of pictures! Thinking of starting a duckling thread? Not sure though. When are your ducklings due to arrive? What genders?

7. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I have 2 Cayuga girls and they are truly gorgeous. Probably the most flashy of my little flock. :) I also have a Welsh Harlequin and besides being absolutely beautiful, she is a great layer too.

I think all the breeds you've chosen sound really fun! Make sure to post pics when you get them, too!

8. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    1. Anconas- These ducks are quiet, docile, friendly, clean (as clean as a duck can get anyways) and gorgeous. No 2 look alike because of their unique patterns. Plus, they are critically endangered which makes it that much funner to raise knowing you're helping out the breed.

2. Blue Swedish- Not a noisy duck and all around pretty friendly. Love the blue coloring too.

3. Magpies- Similar to Anconas except these guys tend to have more of a standard color pattern.

4. Runners- Fun to watch, these lil guys are the clowns of the duck world.

5. Crested- just because their funny to look at, LOL

My least favorite is the Khaki Campbell. Very skittish and noisy. Plus they are kind of boring looking.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  9. BirdCrazy11

BirdCrazy11 New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    I will! Thanks!

10. BirdCrazy11

BirdCrazy11 New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    They are supposed to arrive June 19. I can't wait! There will be one male and one female in each pair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by