Duck breed question

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Bettacreek, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    The park has a ton of ducks that we feed when it's warm enough out. Mostly they are all mallards, but there is another kind of duck out there, and I've been wondering what the heck they are. They're all black, but they have a white patch on their chests. Any ideas? They could of course be mutts, I'm just curious. I've seen some that have the coloration of mallards, but with this white patch on them as well, which I'm assuming is a mix between the mallard and one of the black ducks. Anyways, I've never seen a black duck before we moved here, so, any ideas?

2. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    If it's pretty small it might be a Black East Indie. If it is the same size or larger that the mallards it is probably an older Cayuga or a Cayuga mix.

3. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

The white on it's chest rules out the east india. Might be some sort of crossed up duck

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    They are smaller than the mallards, so maybe an East Indie mix?

And, oops, I just realised that I put this in the wrong section. Sorry guys!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Check out Blue Swedish duck - one phase of it is Black with the white bib.

meri

6. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    That's definately what they look like, to the "T". But, I've never seen blue ones, only the blacks and the mallards with white. Maybe someone just recently dropped them off or something? I only moved here last year, so they could only be young ducks.

And, definately not any type of East Indie, they don't have shiney feathers, just a regular black.

But, while looking up black East Indie ducks, I found one with a poofy on its head. The place that we used to live had mallards, and there were two males and one female that had those poofies on their heads. What the heck is up with that, is that something from another breed, or just some random thing that pops up once in a blue moon?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by