Duck breed with best personality?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alandra_lee, Aug 19, 2009.

1. alandra_lee

alandra_lee In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    So, I'm in the process of learning about ducks. I'm curious about the personalities of the different breeds. Which breeds do you think have the best personalities, and why?

Thanks!

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    will let's see what are you looking for in a duck like eggs, meat or both ? would it be ok if they fly ?

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    So far, out of the three breeds I have now, i'd say my Black/blue east indies are!!!

My PQ call ducklings (now ducks) wanted nothing to do with me at day one

my mallards as ducklings were a little bit more acceptable of me at day one but were standoffish, and now as adults still are the same way, the quack and follow me around but dont want me in their "personal bubble" [​IMG]

my BEI imprinted on me right away, they are little angels [​IMG]

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I think for friendliness it is hard to go past a muscovey. They are by far the friendliest of all the ducks I have.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My Anconas are the curious ones and friendly but my male GWH (Golden Welsh Harlequins) are ubber friendly. I love both breeds' personality and temperament.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    If scovies like you they are hands down winners.

I like pekins for their sassy mouthiness and most drakes are pretty entertaining

7. rajza00

rajza00 In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Beautiful Massachusetts
    My Pekins have always been friendly.

My Magpies were very personable as well. One of mine will follow me around the yard if they're out there.

My Khaki Campbells are very amusing to watch. They climb my bulkhead and tap at the window to say "hello". It's very cute. We had some chickadees flying in to collect feathers from our yard (must've been building a nest or something) and our Khaki Campbells would chase after the chickadee.

I guess it depends on the duck. These are my favorite breeds so far since I've had a great experience with all 3.

8. aleciasayshii

aleciasayshii Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    The Colony
    I would say Muscovy!
    But my pekin is pretty sweet too.

9. taraann81

taraann81 Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:I agree!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: