Duck breed?

rtrodr90

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
Can anyone help me identify my ducks breed? Cayuga or Indian runner? He is 7 weeks old. Should he be flying by now?

Attachments

• B82666DA-BD55-4D13-A310-AA9327A3ADFA.jpeg
    B82666DA-BD55-4D13-A310-AA9327A3ADFA.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 8304E7DE-1EB4-4793-ACE0-504BAB0C2726.jpeg
    8304E7DE-1EB4-4793-ACE0-504BAB0C2726.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 9
Beautiful Cayugas!! Do you want him to fly? I'd say some do some don't it's that way in most domestics.

Sorry to derail but I have actually been thinking a lot about this. I would like to fence off the back portion of my yard so that the girls can get more room to move around when we're home/can keep an eye on them. I don't really want to use any type of cover (bird netting) because I'd also like to plant some things and be able to move around back there. Can I be relatively sure that they'll stay put in an area where there is at least a 2 ft (and sometimes a 6 ft) fence enclosing the space, and a large tree overhead?

Sorry to derail but I have actually been thinking a lot about this. I would like to fence off the back portion of my yard so that the girls can get more room to move around when we're home/can keep an eye on them. I don't really want to use any type of cover (bird netting) because I'd also like to plant some things and be able to move around back there. Can I be relatively sure that they'll stay put in an area where there is at least a 2 ft (and sometimes a 6 ft) fence enclosing the space, and a large tree overhead?
2 feet I would be nervous. My ducks would definitely be able to fly over that...
Also make sure the tree is inaccessible to crafty predators. Think --- could a raccoon somehow jump onto a tree branch and make its way inside the enclosed area?

My Cayugas can get a few feet off the ground if they want to. But can’t full on fly. My male will fly over our 2 ft tall pen if I put him in there while all of his girls are out roaming the yard. None of the others will try to get out. I’d say if they are all together, you won’t have a problem. My females never try to fly out of it.

2 feet I would be nervous. My ducks would definitely be able to fly over that...
Also make sure the tree is inaccessible to crafty predators. Think --- could a raccoon somehow jump onto a tree branch and make its way inside the enclosed area?

My Cayugas can get a few feet off the ground if they want to. But can’t full on fly. My male will fly over our 2 ft tall pen if I put him in there while all of his girls are out roaming the yard. None of the others will try to get out. I’d say if they are all together, you won’t have a problem. My females never try to fly out of it.

Thanks for the advice. This would literally be a section of my yard outside their very secure pen which they would be able to roam around in while I was in the yard with them, so I am not super worried about escape or predators. I would not leave them out there unattended. Just want to make sure that they couldn't take off a fly out of my whole fenced in yard, which it sounds like would be unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom