Flying Cat Coop

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2022
Zone 3/4
These ducks, I was told are 8-9 months old. Someone dropped them off to me today.

I am unsure of breed and gender. Can you help?

Are they Rouen ducks? I know Rouens look like mallards but unsure when males would develop their color. One definitely has a green head and another looks to have some green.
The one in the back has a yellow bill while the other two have green bills.

They are larger than mallards.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ducks.png
    ducks.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
I think they are older. The sort of green head looks like a molting male (that would happen late summer when over a year). The other 2 are hens. I don't have any Rouens so I'm not sure on the details of their appearance, but that would be my breed guess.

Likely hatchery quality Rouens or Rouen mixes.

Right now drakes are in eclipse plumage. Looking at them won't tell us what they are (except for Mr. Partial Nuptial Plumage there). Do they quack or have a quiet rasp? Males don't quack.

Last edited:
Likely hatchery quality Rouens or Rouen mixes.

Right now drakes are in eclipse plumage. Looksing at them won't tell us what they are (except for Mr. Partial Nuptial Plumage there). Do they quack or have a quiet rasp? Males don't quack.
They just arrived today and everyone is pretty quiet so far. I am listening for quacks. :)

I think they are older. The sort of green head looks like a molting male (that would happen late summer when over a year). The other 2 are hens. I don't have any Rouens so I'm not sure on the details of their appearance, but that would be my breed guess.
I was told they were hatched in a classroom this past Jan/Feb. Everyone is pretty quiet so far as they are getting to know the place. They are a ways from the chickens in quarantine but can still hear everyone and they seem fascinated.

If going by vocalizations, the middle one is a female. Definitely quacks. She is very light weight.
The one in the front has the classic male sound and the heaviest in the group.
The one in the back I think is a drake as well. but a bit on the fence. He is not as heavy as the drake or as light weight as the female. I have not heard a quack out of him. A tinge of green on his head. Same bill color as the drake.

Attachments

• duck2.jpg
    duck2.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 2
If going by vocalizations, the middle one is a female. Definitely quacks. She is very light weight.
The one in the front has the classic male sound and the heaviest in the group.
The one in the back I think is a drake as well. but a bit on the fence. He is not as heavy as the drake or as light weight as the female. I have not heard a quack out of him. A tinge of green on his head. Same bill color as the drake.
I'd bet you're right. The bill color and that bit of black around his bill.. looks like the remnants of nuptial plumage.

If this is the case, you'd do best to add quite a few more females before spring. That or rehome a male.

Back
Top Bottom