Duck breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by conroy, May 29, 2010.

1. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    ok So I got these babies this morning... wasn't planning on them but we will make due... you all know how that goes... they are real pretty... the woman who gave them to me said that the three brown ones are Chocolate Runners... the other four she thinks are Rouens.... can anyone confirm? thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    [​IMG]

I accidentally posted the same pic twice in last post [​IMG]

3. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I don't know the breed but if you use a smaller water that they can't get into, they won't get chilled from getting wet. I use 4 ounce ball canning jars. Even after one week they are still dry. The brown ones are my chocolate runners.[​IMG]

4. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I would say those are definitly rouens. Mallards tend to have only one eye stripe, while rouens have two heavy lines. I have never had runners, but I cannot think of another breed they could be, so I am thinking the information she gave you is correct.

5. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    Quote:Oma thanks for the reply... I will try the smaller water... I didn't have much time to plan or research... I am kinda doing this on the fly but I love them already they seem to be more work than chickens but they have stolen my heart [​IMG] especially the Runners...and yours are adorable too thanks for sharing [​IMG]

6. conroy

Oct 10, 2008
    Quote:Thanks Smartie [​IMG] the woman seemed to know what she was talking about but I thought I would ask to be sure [​IMG]

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    yup. mallard have one stripe, rouens have two. i have one of each [​IMG] the girl i got them from had mallards and rouens so i think mine are mixed, but i have one with one eye stripe and one with two..

[​IMG]
    fruitloops is on my hand lol and little foot the rouen is by my hand. they are with their little muscovy friend [​IMG]

8. Natermotor

Natermotor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Cecil County,MD
    The brown ones could be Kahki Campbells, or they could be runners. [​IMG]

9. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:You're right, I didn't think about Kahkis. I looked up pics of the two, and it seems the only difference is that runners are a tad darker, and the stance of course.

Kahkis:

[​IMG]

Brown Runners:

[​IMG]

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Your probable runners look very much like mine did at about a week or two of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by