duck breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jesswinchester, Feb 28, 2015.

1. jesswinchester

jesswinchester New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    Hi! Im jessica new member from the U.S.A. and im here with a few questions.
    We got a duvkling a few days ago and its now a week old but i dont know what breed s/he is.
    I have no clue of what gender either.
    I was hoping you guys could help[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. The only duck breed I am vaguely familiar with is the Mallard, so my wild guess would be it is one. For people who really know ducks - head to the "Other Backyard Poultry," forum to check out the duck threads . Good luck. It is a darling little duckling.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, there is a lot of information on this site, I'm sure you'll find answers to any questions you have! [​IMG]

[​IMG] Check out the duck section here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks Enjoy your flock!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

I don't have much experience with ducks, but it looks like possibly a Mallard or a Rouen. I would definitely post in the Ducks section that MyMillieFleur linked to for some more answers.

Good luck with your duckling!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope you'll consider getting another duckling to go with this lil one they do so much better if they have a buddy. did you find this little one or buy? looks like a Mallard duckling to me. At the age your baby is it would be hard for any of us to tell gender yet.It sure is a cutie though.

Welcome to BYC

excellent reading too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by