Duck breeding pairings, how to keep them separate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by porcupine73, Mar 2, 2013.

1. porcupine73

porcupine73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Hi, I'm new to ducks. I'm wondering when it comes time to pair off a given drake with a duck, or a number of ducks, to get eggs for hatching, how do you manage letting them out into the run? Do you let just those in the pairing/group out for a given time, then put them back, then let the next set out? Or do they just stay in their pen the entire time of the mating pairing?

Ideally I'd like to let them just all go together in the run, but of course then I'd somehow have to get them back into the right pens for the pairings again, plus unwanted matings could occur during their common time in the yard.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Seperate housing and runs for each breed is the only way that you can guarantee purebreds. If housing is big enough you could leave them in the house and let each breed into the run seperately. Ducks breed at all times of day so once breeding season starts they need to be seperate.

3. porcupine73

porcupine73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    Great, thanks. I'm planning on focusing on just one breed, probably Saxony or possibly Silver Appleyard. I think that will work. Over the winter I'll probably keep maybe eight ducks and two drakes, whoever is the best of the flock at that time. The remained would be butchered in late summer/fall. Maybe with that number they can just all be together, the two drakes free to mate with any of the ducks.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    With 8 ducks you should be able to keep 2 drakes. Sometimes that won't work out. I think it is best to start with 1 breed and then expand once you get your feet wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by