Duck Breeding.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Duck Ladie, Jan 18, 2017.

1. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    Hello! I've decided on a date that I want my ducklings to hatch (I've never hatched duck eggs before, despite having LOTS of ducks in the past) and from my calculations, I need to start breeding earl February. I'm planning on putting the ducks in separate pens, so I know what will hatch. I'm thinking yes, but I want to double check. They all seem to be molting, does that mean they are getting ready to start mating season? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I have found it depends on your ducks. Some will go through two molts a year. My Muscovy only Molt in the fall, but my Khaki's molted twice last year. One molt was earlier in the year before the breeding began, the second in the fall. Just watch the behavior of your drakes. That might be your best indication.

3. The Duck Ladie

Feb 23, 2016
    Thank you. They are starting to act up...

4. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    We hit a warm spell here in MN and my drake started mating. The ladies aren't even laying eggs yet. Silly man.

5. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

Eh, he's just making sure the ladies are good to go when they start laying.

6. The Duck Ladie

Feb 23, 2016
    Yeah, I think they are getting ready for mating season.The boys are doing some courtship displays and we are having warm weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by