Duck breeds and familes how do they all get along

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Deester, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Deester

Deester Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Just posing a question that I'm curious about.

How do different duck breeds adjust to and accept other duck breeds?
    Is it better or worse when they are ducklings or full grown?

deester

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Depends lol for one not putting to extreme of sizing is a good idea, otherwise large breeds may pick on small ones.

They most definitely do better raised as ducklings, that way they build a relationship with the other breeds, for most mallard derived, the behaviours and language are the same or close enough.

I have the unusual situation here where i raised some buffs with some muscovy, the group is inseparable and despite the language barrier they carry on. Now my Pekin run within my Muscovy flock they are indifferent to them, they are their own flock within, they do have more interest in the buffs since they quack but stick mostly to themselves the buffs however are very Muscovy driven seem very uninterested in other mallard derived birds.

The Pekin do like my calls lol of coarse they resemble babies(and sorta are at least the ones they chat too) but they have nothing to do with the Muscovy so are also quite drawn to the Pekin.

My point here is it is more than doable, and can be so on an extreme level like i have done, that said often birds of a feather, flock together so when the opportunity of like breed birds occurs they will go towards them unless raised as babies and the differences seem to be overcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by