Duck Breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shannonmeans, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Shannonmeans

Shannonmeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Brazoria, Tx
    Does any one know which duck breeds can be kept. I mean non domestic breeds such as mandarins and wood ducks and a few other breeds. Also can you keep the little Nene Geese?

2. AnDrEw&Cole

AnDrEw&Cole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    I do not know about the nene geese but i do know that you can keep.. Mallards, Which are not domestic Hope that helped [​IMG]

_________________________________--

15, Chickens, 2, White pekin, 2, Mallards, 1 Black swedish [​IMG]

3. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

You can keep them all, just need permits to do it. Actually you don't even need a permit to do it, you just have to buy them from someone who has a permit to SELL them to you. They give you what is called a 3-186 which shows what they transferred to you. That's all you need from then on if you do not sell or give any away.

Edit - some of the endangered species like the nene may require a special permit to even keep. Not sure of that. I'm sure Boggy Bottom Bantams will be along soon and sort that out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. duckopedia

duckopedia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    You can keep:
    mandrin
    wood duck
    canvas back
    hooded merganser
    tufted duck
    mallards
    pintails
    common goldeneye
    Eurasian wigeon
    Lesser Scaup
    green wing teel
    gadwall
    american Wigeon
    blue winged teel

5. Shannonmeans

Shannonmeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Brazoria, Tx
    Thank you all for your replies! I went to Sea World and could not tear myself away from the duck pond. I never wanted ducks before I saw theirs. Now I am trying to find out what some of them were and if they are available. I really love the Nenes they had. Some of the varieties they had information cards on and some not.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by