Duck Breeds

DucksandChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 20, 2014
Chicago, IL
What breed is the calmest and kind of small and not that noisy? Also, is the Mallard duck breed and the Candian goose breed the only types you can't put out into the wild?
Thanks in advance!

Muscovy ducks can't be released in the wild either. None of the smaller breeds are quiet. Cayugas and Blue Swedish are the calmness and quietest I have had. Oh and Muscovy ducks but they are all medium to large breeds.

welcome-byc.gif

You are in general not allowed to release pets or livestock into into the wild, so considering duck-dumping as a valve for surplus birds is not an option.

The noise they make have often to do with the character of a duck - any domestic mallard female can be loud enough to entertain the whole neighbourhood, they usually keep it down to a sound volume that you and your neighbours can be happy with.
Some ducks, on the other hand, like to quack loudly for any reason or none, and call ducks are known for their loud, piercing voices and the fact that they like to use them.

Calm and not noisy at all are muscovies, but they may be too large for your taste.

A small breed apart from the call ducks are black East Indian ducks, but I am not familiar with the breed. A friend of mine has kept a pair for years, and I haven't heard much noise from them, and I don't know how calm they were. But with time and patience, almost every duck can become quite tame.

You are in general not allowed to release pets or livestock into into the wild, so considering duck-dumping as a valve for surplus birds is not an option.

The noise they make have often to do with the character of a duck - any domestic mallard female can be loud enough to entertain the whole neighbourhood, they usually keep it down to a sound volume that you and your neighbours can be happy with.
Some ducks, on the other hand, like to quack loudly for any reason or none, and call ducks are known for their loud, piercing voices and the fact that they like to use them.

Calm and not noisy at all are muscovies, but they may be too large for your taste.

A small breed apart from the call ducks are black East Indian ducks, but I am not familiar with the breed. A friend of mine has kept a pair for years, and I haven't heard much noise from them, and I don't know how calm they were. But with time and patience, almost every duck can become quite tame.

X 2 on the dumping of poultry, livestock, or pets. Inhumane and generally illegal.

X 2 on the dumping of poultry, livestock, or pets. Inhumane and generally illegal.
Speaking of which, it is about time - if you feel so led - to write letters to the editor, or otherwise encourage people to be caring and compassionate at Easter time, and avoid impulse buying of chicks, bunnies, and ducklings.

A couple of months after Easter might be a time to look into adopting dumped ducks.

i get dumped ducks all the time where i live at i take them in until i find them a new home but i keep some to but i cant keep them all i will go threw mud and water for a duck which i already have people will just dump them on the road where there is a pond but the duck dont always go to the pond some times they get hit by a car so if i see them on the side of the road i lock the car up and hop out and get the duck but i ask people if they are there duck befor i take them home i dont do this for a living or any thing i just like to help out the poor ducks down here i get ran over with the duck some times but i do sell duckling when the mom want to hatch so i can buy feed for the ducks i need to re home i dont have the heart to kill a duck at all

Back
Top Bottom