Duck Brooder Grossness

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jeepchick, Aug 3, 2011.

1. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    I have week old call ducklings and have them in a brooderlike the ones my chicks are in. I have tried just newspaper, tried pine shavings.....I have regular waterers and feeders. Every single day at least 2-3 times a day I am cleaning out an inch of muck water or nasty soggy shavings because they play in the water dish. I know I know....they're ducks but jeez is there any way I can keep them cleaner? Does anyone have a brooder set up that is more duck appropriate then what I have set up? I take them "swimming" in the sink not because its cute to watch but because they are nasty dirty from the brooder floor and need a bath lol.

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Yes, ducks are messy when it comes to water. I am lucky enough to brood mine in my bathtub. It's easy to clean that's for sure. I don't use the tub really because I have a stall shower. I just put there food and water near the drain. I have a light that keeps them warm at the other end along with a hand towel (old) or a pet pad that I can toss in the garbage. I will rinse all the food and poop down the drain without having to remove the ducks then I fill with water for them to play. I drain, rinse and they are ready for a little food and a nap afterwords.

If that doesn't work try putting them outside in a pet pen for the day. You can put a pan of water outside for them to swim in. They will come and go as they please. Put something over the top so they can get out of the sun and also netting to keep other birds from getting into the pen. You can also put a pet crate in the pet pen which works great also. They get use to it and it is easier to bring them back in the house when it's time. Since it's summer they can stay outside since it's so hot.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I brood ducklings in a bathtub because it's easy to clean. It get's worse.

I think I remember someone taking two kiddie pools and making a "tunnel" between the two where one side had their food and water and the other side had their bedding. You could use a couple Rubbermaid tubs to do the same thing I would think.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    If you are using a regular chick waterer I would change it. Get some cheap tupperware type containers. Cut a "hole" out of the edge of the lid for them to dunk their heads/bills and it will help a bit. They are still slobs. I am lucky enough to have mine outside, still messy but better then the mess/stench of inside.

5. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    I live in NH so it is warm here durring the day but it is getting down to the 50's at night and I worry they would be cold. Are ducks more cold hearty then I am giving them credit for? I would LOVE to set them up outside if they can tollerate 50-60 degree nights. They are about a week old and I dont see feathers yet.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Too cold without a heat lamp. A few more weeks indoors or set up a heat lamp for night.

7. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    I used puppy potty training pads and they worked but still had to change them several times a day...the bigger the area the better.

8. lilhens

lilhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Puppy training pads and wood shavings are what we used sadly though the mess is not something you can get out of. [​IMG] Ducks r dirty little buggers once they go into their run (or start free ranging) you wont have to deal with their messes any longer but for now tuff it out. [​IMG]

9. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:That's what I keep telling myself: it's not forever, it's not forever, it's not forever. LOL

(hopefully mine will be outdoors by tomorrow night!)

10. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    I made an outdoor brooder pen, now no more messes [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by