Duck Brooder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by classroomducks, Oct 15, 2009.

1. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I was wondering if some of you could post some brooder pics. I looked at the chicken ones, but it seems to me that chicks arent as big or messy and my ducks are gonna be. I need something that they can stay in until they are 7 weeks old or so because this is going to be in the classroom. I have to be able to lock them up at night. I am guessing of the 20 eggs that are alive at day 11 and 6 in the incubation that im going to end up with around 15 ducks. I was going to build a big one, but i dont want to spend that much money when I'm going to need to buy kennels of a sort when I drive them all to colorado at christmas. If anyone has some considerations and is willing to post their duck brooders it would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Maybe you could try a rabbit hutch as a brooder.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i built a simple box out of plywood and 1x12's.

[​IMG]

I had 18 chicks/ducklings for about four or five days until everyone who ordered with me were able to get their new babies. I only kept two from this bunch. I guess if you make it twice the size of what i made, and make it taller (maybe using a 4X8 with 2ft sides) should be big enough. you don't need really thick or nice plywood, maybe only 22/32's thick? i think i got low quality plywood 4X8 sheets at lowes for maybe 15$? add on a couple 2x4 sheets for the sides? it depends on how much space you have in your class room. 15 ducks at 7 weeks old are pretty big... almost full grown.

the pekin in this pic is 8 weeks old...
    [​IMG]

4. rainplace

With that many ducks for that long, you are gonna have some stink. You may find you're not liking them by that time [​IMG]

You're going to want something that is easy to clean. Putting them on wire with a pan underneath seems to me to be the best bet. Sheesh, maybe that's two rabbit hutches.

Maybe something like this:

[​IMG]

even that seems small to me.

what do you all think?

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We used the really large rubbermaid tubs for 16 ducklings, but not for 7 weeks. 1 full grown duck in a tub in really too much ( though we use those for a duck hospital.) After a few weeks we had one that would jump out of the tub. As someone suggested, you could build on out of wood, but I would line it with a plastic table cloth or shower curtain. Good luck. That's a lot of ducks you'll be having in the classroom for a bit of time. Might need some gas masks. LOL

6. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    well the stink im not too worried about. I have lots of kiddos that love to help. I already know we are going to be cleaning every day. We have a very large bathroom because of wheel chairs in my classroom. We do not have any wheel chairs this year though so we dont need all that room. My other thougth was to just block off part of the bathroom and line the tile floor. We also do have access to the courtyard right outside my room...so i guess if it gets bad I could put them outside. Again, the question becomes in what? Im in texas so its not that cold even in december...Everyone was saying how their first hatch was fail...i was so scared i wouldnt have enough ducks, and now I think I might have too many lol [​IMG] ...trying not to count my ducks before they hatch, [​IMG] but Im trying to think ahead just in case.

7. rainplace

Lining the bathroom might not be a bad idea. Get some linoleum and put shavings on top. You can put them in there once they get to big for the brooder. I'll try to find some pictures of how to make a watering station so that the mess isn't so big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by