Duck Brooders

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lucy1712, May 26, 2019.

1. Lucy1712

Lucy1712 In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2018
    Hartlepool, England
    can I please see your duck brooder set ups?
    I am going to use an indoor rabbit hutch with a towel on the floor to prevent slipping and a normal 60/100w light with a light fitting. Anyone else done this?

quackiemama likes this.
  2. Melodychick

Melodychick Songster

Jun 27, 2017
    South Mississippi
    Hi Lucy, I just finished brooding my first batch of ducklings, prepare for a mess! I used puppy pads at first and when they were a week or two old, I added wood shavings on top.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
    quackiemama and Lucy1712 like this.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I hate brooding ducklings inside!

As soon as possible I put them outside in a tractor.

By 1 week of age, with a heat source and a wind break it works fine even if temps are in the 40s.

4. bex1983

bex1983 Chirping

May 7, 2019
    Currently brooding my first batch of ducklings....I have a 6ftx2x2 stock tank (we plan to use as a garden planter after), and in one end I have water on a cookie sheet lined with cloth diapers covered with shelf liner and food behind it off the tray, then at the end with the light I have a “den” made out of wire cooling rack covered in fleece. They are now almost 2 weeks old and I am using just wood shavings (and deeper bowl for water and open bowl for food) but I started with a base of wood shavings covered by paper towels. Throughout the day I would cover the paper towels with new ones and completely change them out each morning....I do think next go round tho I will try the puppy pads covered with shelf liner....I really envy the people who have an extra bathtub they can use when brooding indoors.

*excuse the poo in the pics, I was sending a photo of how quickly they do that to my friend....I put more paper towel down just after the photo

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Lucy1712 likes this.
  5. Lucy1712

Lucy1712 In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2018
    Hartlepool, England
    Thank you. what have you been feeding them also? I am going out to buy food as soon as I see that they’re going to hatch lol. Knowing my luck I’ll buy the food and none will hatch like last time haha

quackiemama likes this.
  6. bex1983

bex1983 Chirping

May 7, 2019
    I’ve been feeding Manna Pro Duck Starter/Grower, but I’m on the hunt for the next food now as I will switch them to lower protein at 3 weeks. I will keep you updated on what I find/decide. Though I know if you get a chick starter make sure it is non medicated and if the niacin content (which you may need to call the company for) isn’t at least 55 mg/kg then you will need to supplement with brewers or nutritional yeast.

Lucy1712 and quackiemama like this.
  7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

No duck starter where I am.... so I feed chick starter, non -medicated, and add farm grade nutritional yeast.

Lucy1712 and quackiemama like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: