Duck broody 7wks and counting...HELP

gal5150

Songster
Mar 30, 2016
California
My 1 yr old WH went broody 7wks or so ago. I have no drakes, and she stopped laying once she went broody....sitting on NOTHING. I take the girls eggs every morning. She had been sitting on absolutely nothing for nearly 2 months now and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. How in the world do I get her over this?!

She has no nesting material, has created a nest in dirt and pea gravel that I've constantly disturbed. If I block it completely she makes a new "nest" next to the area. She gets up twice a day to eat/preen in the pool/meander around probably 10 min each time. Has no health issues that are apparent. Initially I didn't recognize her as broody so treated for mites/parasites, etc. She's just not letting this go. Weight is ok, other than the constant sitting and nasty broody behavior (hissing, chasing if she's up, etc), she's perfectly fine. This can't go on indefinitely, right?! Suggestions welcomed!

Put her in a dog kennel raised a few inches above the ground with food and water and no bedding.After a few days she should stop.

Put her in a dog kennel raised a few inches above the ground with food and water and no bedding.After a few days she should stop.
Yes, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but I've been trying to track down a carrier since Monday. Are we thinking wire bottom? And letting her out for periods, or no?

She is a Duck.....:lau
NOT a Chicken....Simple destroy her nest and collect any eggs ...put a pot where she keeps going...Ducks break very easily ...Zero need to catch her and put her into a broody breaker....:barnie

She doesn't have a nest....

She is sitting on dirt.She has blocked off the nest but she just makes another one made out of dirt. Obsioulsy this duck inst easy to break since she's been doing it for two months.I have had many ducks who just go crazy and will sit on nothing.

Yes, so?......I have had it too...Block off that spot...Simple...Ducks are easy too break...

She has done everything you said.

My 1 yr old WH went broody 7wks or so ago. I have no drakes, and she stopped laying once she went broody....sitting on NOTHING. I take the girls eggs every morning. She had been sitting on absolutely nothing for nearly 2 months now and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. How in the world do I get her over this?!

She has no nesting material, has created a nest in dirt and pea gravel that I've constantly disturbed. If I block it completely she makes a new "nest" next to the area. She gets up twice a day to eat/preen in the pool/meander around probably 10 min each time. Has no health issues that are apparent. Initially I didn't recognize her as broody so treated for mites/parasites, etc. She's just not letting this go. Weight is ok, other than the constant sitting and nasty broody behavior (hissing, chasing if she's up, etc), she's perfectly fine. This can't go on indefinitely, right?! Suggestions welcomed!

Back
Top Bottom