Duck bug hunting... and at night?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I was curious about ducks ability to hunt bugs and at night?

Do your ducks really make their weight from foraging? or are most people yards totally devoid of life?

I'm very much interested in trying to figure out how realistic these figures would be. A more rural place probably has more opportunity for this I would assume, but maybe there's still some opportunity? And also can ducks hunt for bugs at night?

Mine I'm not sure. And I wanted to check. Mine seem to sleep at night. But I'm not really sure if they would get up if something came by, or if they saw something in the dirt. I thought it might be a good opportunity to learn from some of you if you'd observed some things.

Do your ducks really make their weight from foraging? or are most people yards totally devoid of life?

I'm very much interested in trying to figure out how realistic these figures would be. A more rural place probably has more opportunity for this I would assume, but maybe there's still some opportunity? And also can ducks hunt for bugs at night?

Mine I'm not sure. And I wanted to check. Mine seem to sleep at night. But I'm not really sure if they would get up if something came by, or if they saw something in the dirt. I thought it might be a good opportunity to learn from some of you if you'd observed some things.
As far as I know, ducks don't have great night vision. They're very vulnerable to predation at night as well, so I lock mine up tight. When I didn't they never moved unless I came and picked them up.

As far as foraging most of their weight, I think it's possible. They need a proper feed, especially when they're growing. Ducks can forage up to a quarter of their diet on their own.
I'll do a dumb comparison.
If you ate cereal as 75% of your diet, and fruit and veg as the remaining 25% your body would be able to utilize the nutrients in the fruit and veg better than it would the cereal. The longer feed sits the more nutrients it loses. The best food for anyone is the fresh food.

As far as I know, ducks don't have great night vision. They're very vulnerable to predation at night as well, so I lock mine up tight. When I didn't they never moved unless I came and picked them up.

As far as foraging most of their weight, I think it's possible. They need a proper feed, especially when they're growing. Ducks can forage up to a quarter of their diet on their own.
I'll do a dumb comparison.
If you ate cereal as 75% of your diet, and fruit and veg as the remaining 25% your body would be able to utilize the nutrients in the fruit and veg better than it would the cereal. The longer feed sits the more nutrients it loses. The best food for anyone is the fresh food.
very interesting. Thanks.

On rare occasions maybe, but in most cases no. Even growing up the wild ducks that would stay at our pond would all be hunkered down sleeping on the shoreline and beach at night. With my own ducks as soon as it starts to get dark they automatically come inside and lay down. Darkness=Vulnerability for ducks and if there is anything that a duck hates it's the feeling of being vulnerable and unsafe. When it comes down to it, ducks have survival instincts just like any other animal and for ducks that means if it feels even a little unsafe it's not worth the risk. I did forget to head count my ducks one evening when I put them to bed. An hour later outside my house I heard my hen Yellow quaking very loudly (she is a loner so I often have to go search for her because I try to put my ducks to bed just before it starts to get dark and she's wandering away from the group). It wasn't an alarm quack, but the quack she gives when she is trying to get my attention. I went outside and she started walking towards the barn with me. I opened the barn door to which she walked right in and when I opened their pen she went in, laid down and tucked her head back. I have trail cams, night vision binoculars and a night scope on the one rifle. No predators to be seen and no tracks (the ground is soft here so if something was there tracks would be there too) judging by the fact she calmed down as soon as I came out to take her to the barn I think she just wanted to be tucked in and safe for the night.

There are some times of the year that ducks can do quite well on foraging. Right now mine hardly touch their feed and are fatting up a lot right now. So much of that is because of foraging. But that is not the case during other times of the year. So some of it is seasonal. But they always need access to some feed.

Yes very much ducks can be nocturnal. Ducks love hunting at night under the lights, especially babies. It's fun watching babies chase bugs on a lit basketball court. Under the moon when it is full they hunt, and when it is dark they sleep. It's almost always in a group, but sometimes a loner.

Mine definitely hunt & do get bugs at night.

I was keeping them locked up at night but a couple started not wanting to go in. Couple nights I picked them up & put them in but then more started balking about going in. Couple of them started being bullied & their house is small so they have no where to escape from the bully's so of course they didn't want to be locked in with them for 10-12 hours.

So I started letting them stay out until I can make/get 2nd or bigger house. Yard is fenced & there are places to hide, but I still worry about them. Especially, when/if the raccoons show back up. They haven't been around lately. But also when more predators realize there are ducks in my yard since I've only had them since July.

That 1st few nights I left them out I was up most of the night. I watched them on the camera but when sleeping they usually stayed in a dark spot out of the light. So I went on the back deck with my headlamp to spot light & check them. Several times I went outside to check on them. They stay in open area in tight little group when sleeping but in the dark spot. Many times they did forage though.

Now I've spoiled them even more because I usually go out around 11pm & we go cricket hunting. I walk on the grass & stir up crickets & they gobble them up. I sometimes use the red or green light on my headlamp but I can't see the crickets good although the ducks can. Sometimes I end up using the white spotlight but either way the ducks seem to be able to spot the crickets & other bugs. Of course crickets jump making it somewhat easier to spot them but they ducks do chase them down. And also get other non-jumping bugs hiding in grass.

Anyone know if ducks have same type of night vision humans do? For instance, if you let your eyes adjust to the darkness you can see somewhat but once you get bright light in your eyes it ruins that night vision & you have to let your eyes adjust to the dark again. That's why I try to use red or green light which helps retain night vision but gives bit more light than just moonlight.

My ducks think they are chickens and follow my hens into the coop every night (even though they have a perfectly lovely duck house built especially for them).

But if I have to go into the coop at night for health checks or what have you, the ducks will often bum rush me and toddle on out to their pool for late night swimminsss time. Party animals....

I shoo them back in, of course. Waaaaay too many predators out here: fox, raccoon, bobcat, coyote.... especially fox. Lots of foxes in our woods.

Back
Top Bottom