1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Bullying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bobbimarks, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Bobbimarks

Bobbimarks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Hi there, Does anyone have a solution to duck bullying other than trying to keep them separate and locked up all day? We have free range ducks. 5 males and 3 females in the one flock. I am sure it has a lot to do with testosterone, but my beautiful male Rouen is getting picked on pretty bad. I am afraid he is going to get seriously injured. We have decided to pen him in with the other (young) flock overnight, but when out during the day, those adult males start harassing him again. Short of making the bullies dinner...I am not sure what else I can do.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Realistically you have 4 drakes too many. This behavior will continue to escalate as the day length increases and their testosterone levels rise. I would be seriously concerned about your duck hens being injured or even drowned if they have access to swimming water.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bobbimarks

Bobbimarks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    I know that we have too many drakes. The risk you take when you by them unsexed. We have a younger flock that we hatched ourselves and am PRAYING that there are a lot of females in that group!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd keep him separated from the others till you know what you have in the younger group, your right in being worried. Just watch he doesn't start in on the younger ones. Drakes with testosterone surging can be unpredictable.

5. mommy2x2

mommy2x2 New Egg

Jan 19, 2016
    Will Pekin Ducks Mate with Mallard Ducks ? I have 1 Female Mallard and 1 male mallard and 1 Male Pekin. The Pekin is trying to mate with the female mallard and thus causes the male mallard to attack the male Pekin. Any advise??!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] The best advice that I can give is to separate the pekin from the mallards. Conceivably he could injure her, and two drakes to one hen can be a recipe for disaster. Two drakes trying to breed a hen in water can result in her death by drowning.

1 person likes this.
  7. mommy2x2

mommy2x2 New Egg

Jan 19, 2016

8. mommy2x2

mommy2x2 New Egg

Jan 19, 2016
    Thanks so much. I did this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by