Duck bumble foot?

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
I will post pics later today or tomorrow! I noticed at the bottom of both my ducks feet what I think might be bumble foot, but I'm no expert. One of the ducks has a small looking scab, its hard. And they both have what looks to be a slit with scab and is also hard. They aren't huge. They're smallish! If it is bumble foot, how do you wrap their foot because of their webbed feet? Does anyone have a picture? Any advice will be appreciated!! Thanks!!

When I find early bumblefoot, it looks like a bump with a dark spot. I treat it with twice daily applications of triple antibiotic ointment (no painkiller, I have read that is bad for ducks). I may need to apply the ointment for several weeks before it all goes away, but caught early, I have not had to cut feet. Yay!

Oh, and I don't cover the foot. Just slather the foot top and bottom with ointment, which is greasy enough to stay on for at least a little while. I feel that nighttime application is especially useful.

Last edited:
When I find early bumblefoot, it looks like a bump with a dark spot. I treat it with twice daily applications of triple antibiotic ointment (no painkiller, I have read that is bad for ducks). I may need to apply the ointment for several weeks before it all goes away, but caught early, I have not had to cut feet. Yay!

Oh, and I don't cover the foot. Just slather the foot top and bottom with ointment, which is greasy enough to stay on for at least a little while. I feel that nighttime application is especially useful.
Thanks! So just but antibiotic on it? Could I put a band aid or no? I just don't want to keep changing it!! :)

Chick1043:
You might want to pm (Private message) Amiga so the second he gets on he will get your question.
You will most likely get an answer back faster that way.

Thanks! So just but antibiotic on it? Could I put a band aid or no? I just don't want to keep changing it!! :)
Chick1043, yes, I just put the antibiotic on. I am, to put it lightly, NOT good at putting on bandages that stay on the duck for more than an hour or two. The ointment seems to stay on without bandaging long enough to do some good. And at night, the ducks run around much less and don't swim it off.

Chick1043:
You might want to pm (Private message) Amiga so the second he gets on he will get your question.
You will most likely get an answer back faster that way.
And PetDuck is right. I sometimes have very full days away from the computer, and even when I log in, I can miss things.

Chick1043, yes, I just put the antibiotic on. I am, to put it lightly, NOT good at putting on bandages that stay on the duck for more than an hour or two. The ointment seems to stay on without bandaging long enough to do some good. And at night, the ducks run around much less and don't swim it off.

And PetDuck is right. I sometimes have very full days away from the computer, and even when I log in, I can miss things.
Thanks Amiga and PetDuck! I'll do that:) Never thought of that!

I will put antibiotics on their feet:)

Back
Top Bottom