Duck bumblefoot help please (pictures)

Aleah913

Chirping
Sep 4, 2020
Hi everyone, last night my baby (cayuga drake born April 2021) was limping took him inside let him play in the bath and got him all cleaned up and sure enough it's bumblefoot....cleaned it really well took off the scab and expected a plug but can't find one....cleaned it and put vetricyn and antibiotic ointment on and bandaged it up. This morning he seemed to be walking a little better but was super mad at me for isolating him in the house away from his flock. Let him soak in the tub again, cleaned it out again, tried to get more of the outer edges off, cleaned it out again, put more vetricyn, antibiotics, and new bandage....I still didn't see a plug his foot doesn't feel as hot to the touch as it did last night. Is it normal to not have a plug or could it be deeper....I'm scared to cut deeper and there not be a plug at all and cause more damage but if there is a plug I definitely don't want to leave it in there and him get worse. This is my second time with bumblefoot...the first time was a duckling it was extremely small, the plug came out with no issues and only had to use tweezers, it healed completely in less than a week. Please help...also everything is 100% duck safe I used Witch Hazel, diluted iodine, vetricyn spray, and triple antibiotic ointment withOUT pain killers and added echinacea drops to his water (had leftovers from a duck that had surgery on his leg to help boost his immune system from the vet)

Attachments

• 20211027_124848.jpg
    20211027_124848.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211026_234957.jpg
    20211026_234957.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211026_233513.jpg
    20211026_233513.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 11
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/
looks like you may have gotten it before it became full-blown. So just keep soaking and applying antibiotic ointment and wrapping. did you try gently squeezing to see if anything would pop out? when you run your finger over the area can you feel a hard knot like might be the kernel?

I'd just keep soaking and adding antibiotic cream to it. I would do that for a week maybe. He doesn't have to be removed from the flock - just no access to bathing water. It honestly just looks like a regular scrape. Maybe you caught it before bumblefoot set in.

I'd just keep soaking and adding antibiotic cream to it. I would do that for a week maybe. He doesn't have to be removed from the flock - just no access to bathing water. It honestly just looks like a regular scrape. Maybe you caught it before bumblefoot set in.
Thank you, they have a run and we've had so much rain it's super muddy and their pool is dug into the ground so I don't really have a way to keep him out of the pool if I put him back out with everyone....also do you have any bandaging tips, I wrapped it gauze then sports tape, it took him a while but he pulled it off and it was hard to keep his foot flat. The pharmacist said tegaderm transparent dressing or hydro seal band aids I put one of the band aids on it fell off within minutes but it says not to use antibiotic ointment with them, I put some on anyways so I think thats why it fell off so fast.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/
looks like you may have gotten it before it became full-blown. So just keep soaking and applying antibiotic ointment and wrapping. did you try gently squeezing to see if anything would pop out? when you run your finger over the area can you feel a hard knot like might be the kernel?
I did try squeezing, a tiny bit of blood came out but nothing else and I don't believe so, I'll check again today, I'm hoping you're right and I caught it early...

One picture is from before I removed the scab, another from last night after removing the scab, another from after cleaning it this morning.

Back
Top Bottom