Duck Bumblefoot Up Into Leg

DellaMyDarling

Songster
Dec 13, 2017
Mass Hilltowns
Overwhelmed with internet threads, not really finding my answer.
Initial exam of this duck does not show the classic large bumble on foot, but my poultry breeder friend assures me that it is Bumblefoot which has traveled.
I'll bring him in and soak him and confirm there's no under foot wound to work on, but regardless what should I give him as an antibiotic?
What I have on hand is not what breeder friend recommended, but she didn't know if they were substitutes or not.

This is not a pet duck, but is a very nice fellow I had intended to use in a breeding trio. I'd rather not cull him but will if y'all determined he is not easily treatable.

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_145034322.jpg
    IMG_20220222_145034322.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20220222_145028097.jpg
    IMG_20220222_145028097.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 18
I am not a duck person or knowledgeable, but could it be a broken bone or sprain, or other injury? Is the duck limping? Bumblefoot in ducks usually causes lumps, scabs and swelling on the flipper. I will tag @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia to help you. Also, here is the duck forum where you can also post:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

It certainly could be another kind of injury, sure.
I have PenG, LA200, and Duramycin on hand at all times but neither antibiotic that has been suggested to me for this treatment.
He moves around with the flock, but is limping and slow. I do believe it has gotten worse since we first noticed.
These aren't pets, and are fairly self reliant within our barnyard, in that we don't usually handle any of them. Just feed, water, keep eyes on their general appearances and maybe separate for breeding groups.
No known predator issues, turkey flock still locked up, they cannot get into goat pens, so no harassment from any animals. I don't know of anywhere they roam where he could have fallen from any height at all. Very unsure what could have resulted in such injury if not bumble type infection, but critters manage to do crazy things!

Does the swollen spot feel hot? If so, I bet it is bumblefoot. We have a duck whose ankle looked similar:
12FFEE03-078D-45D4-819F-FD8F94EDD47C.jpeg

I ordered Baytril from the site linked in @Miss Lydia’s post. Our duck weighs 9 ish pounds. I gave her .6 ml twice a day for 7 days, which is a higher dose for longer than recommended, but I wanted to treat the infection aggressively. Her ankle is still slightly swollen, but no longer hot to the touch and her limp has improved.

Good luck!

Oh, we also switched to a food that’s high in vitamin A, I read that bumblefoot is linked to vitamin A deficiency.

I'm searching high and low for the fastest shipping options on the Baytril.
It is the only antibiotic that will work? Shipping suggests many days to get here, and I'm concerned that would be unkind to the duck.
He has gotten much worse today. I'm conveniently out of Epsom salt due to a human injury that required it. Will get some in the AM for Mr.Duck.

Oh, found another BYC thread with article stating PenG in waterfowl can easily be deadly
So, I sure won't use that then.

I don't mind paying the product plus shipping cost (fast as possible) for the Baytril, but it will take DAYS is my concern. Hoping someone can confirm if options I have on hand, or can Tractor Supply, will be acceptable to try.
Asked breeder friend to confirm if she does or does not have any Baytril available. I'll update if so.
His leg yesterday 😥

Attachments

• IMG_20220310_174244703.jpg
    IMG_20220310_174244703.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 14
Ouch, that looks painful. Our duck's foot also had a spot like that where it looked like pus was working it's way to the surface--eventually it burst. Once it opened up, I put decolorized iodine on it a few times, then left it alone.

Metzer Farms recommends these antibiotics: "Different types of antibiotic have been used to cure the problem: one pill (22.7mg) per day of Baytril, 50-100 mg of clindamycin, doxycycline, lincomycen or doxycycline per day, or 250 mg of amoxicillin per day. Of course it is best to consult with a veterinarian first."

Personally, unless you have immediate access to any of those other antibiotics, I think Baytril is going to be your best bet. I ordered from All Bird Products without any kind of expedited shipping and it took seven days to arrive. Hopefully it will arrive around the same time that the pus breaks the surface of the skin.

Back
Top Bottom