duck came early - help preparing!

tiffanya

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Had a duck born earlier than expected this evening (day 26 or 27). Have a couple quick questions. Mom and baby are currently in the coop but I plan to move them tomorrow so the duckling will be able to move around and be safe. I'm going to block off a corner of the run. My question is, do I put the drake in with them? My cayuga pair are currently in a run with all of my chickens. He has been protective of the nest so far but I'm not sure if he'd kill the baby or not.

I have read recommendations to watch closely and be very cautious - some drakes are great, some are aggressive. I hope someone with more breeding experience can weigh in, too.

Some mothers can get aggressive with the ducklings as well, so that's some thing else to watch for.

I was watching them tonight and after the drake went into the coop either the duckling left the nest or the duck pushed it out a bit but it was no longer right next to her. I put it back and she did tuck it back in. So I decided to move them to an enclosed area tonight rather than wait till tomorrow. Turned a square garbage can on its side and moved the upside-down laundry basket she had been under in the coop inside the garbage can. After a battle trying to catch her to move her we did get her to stay on the nest it seems. The poor drake is now pacing and quacking outside the enclosure. I'd really like to let her raise it so I hope she doesn't get aggressive either but ill take my chances at this point. One way to find out what kind of a mother she'll be.

Back
Top Bottom