Duck cant break air sac and died

SofiaDaniela

Chirping
Oct 3, 2018
Hi,:) Excuse me if you do not understand something, I do not speak English.. I've been incubating a muscovy duck egg, I have it in a box with a 70w lamp, during the last few days, the air chamber has grown a lot, stop rotating the egg and sprinkle it with water two or three times day to be wet, the embryo moved a lot and seemed to try to break the air sac, but after a few days It stopped moving .. and then confirm that It had died, there was a red spot on one side, I would like to know what happened to it. Now I have three more eggs and I would like to recommend me what I can do to take care of them properly, the temperature is between 37 and 37.5 C, i rotate it daily and I have a bucket with water on the side, how do I keep the humidity? and what care should I give you the last days? Is it correct to make a small hole if I see that it can not break it? Thanks

Hello Sofia, welcome to BYC! Can you post candling pictures of the remaining eggs? If the duckling has internally pipped, (broken the air cell) it should have enough air to last until it externally pips (breaks the outer shell), however sometimes(with muscovies especially) the duckling doesn't have enough air.

If the duckling internally pips, and then 24 hours pass without it managing to externally pip, you may need to make a 'safety hole) in the top of the egg.

Sorry if I missed it, but how long have the remaining eggs been incubated for.

Good luck with your eggs, I hope you manage to hatch some ducklings :)

Back
Top Bottom