duck cant hold head up

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BunnyStyles, Jan 7, 2015.

1. BunnyStyles

BunnyStyles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Guys, ,I need help now, my duckling can not hold her head up much I found her in the coop not moving, and when i picked her up, she couldn't hold her head up much, she is drinking and eating a bit but she can not hold her head up much, can someone please help me, I want her to survive

Someone told me about botulism, and Coccidiosis and im trying to find the treatments at the pet shops near us, see if they have any. we put her head on a bottle and have the pillow and remote control to keep her head up as she moves it around and then it falls down

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    BunnyStyles, does she go outside? Is she an only duck, could she have eaten something poisonous?

I would give her a charcoal slurry right away. The recipe is here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Looks like you have her inside now. What temperature is the coop? Where we are it is quite cold, but if you are on the other side of the earth, it may be very hot.

Is she pooping? Make sure she gets fresh water. Hold it for her to drink, if she's having trouble holding her head up.

@casportpony , any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    she is not the only duckling, there is 5 others, and there is 4 adult ducks, and at night time its cold and warm, and in the morning its really hot as i live in australia and its really hot in the morning where i live, and she is pooping, and ive been giving her fresh water ever 10-15 mins. And we have a small pond and they were in it yesterday so im going to block that off.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, where you are, botulism is a definite possibility. If you can get to a vet, do so. I understand that is not always possible. Look her over for any sign of a bite or a sting. I am not familiar with all the venomous things you may have to deal with, if any. If she has been bitten or stung, she may need antihistamine. But you need to be careful about dosage - she is small (you know that, I am sure).

So get her a charcoal slurry. Food grade, activated charcoal, it can be purchased at a drugstore here, or if you burn only clean hardwood, and have access to charcoal (not briquettes, but clean, food-safe charcoal), you can grind it up into a powder and put that into her water. It absorbs toxins from the gut.

Prayers for you.

5. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    alright thank you very much, we are going in 10 mins

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Going to the vet? Good. May it all work out well, and may she recover quickly and fully.

7. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    the vet costs alot of money over 70 dollars, will charcoal do fine tho? will it cure botulism ?

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We cannot know.

Without a vet, we make guesses, and use what is available that is non-prescription.

I wish I could guarantee, I can only say this sounds serious, and tell you what I would do.

But please do something.

9. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014

I will thank you xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by