Duck can't walk after swimming

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by henry the duck, Aug 10, 2013.

1. henry the duck

henry the duck New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    Manchester, CT.
    Hello wise duck gurus.... I am a newbie who rescued a newborn mallard duck 8 weeks ago. All has been going well until 5 days ago. I let "Henry" swim in my tub (normal evening routine) and when I took him out he couldn't walk. He seemed fine otherwise and was chipper and hungry. I read that it might be a vitamin deficiency so I went out at midnight in search of brewers yeast. I didn't find any but another site had recommended niacin so I picked some of that up. Fed him a bit of that but the next morning he was the same. Brought him to the vet the next day (where he did stand and walk a bit)and he said all reflexes were good,he looked healthy but seemed not quite right on his right side. He gave me an anti inflammatory (which is fun to give him I will add...) and told me if he was better he could swim but keep him somewhat confined. (He has a gigantic dog crate right now... We just got done building him a huge "condo" but haven't put him in yet.) He has been good the past few days still a little funky getting up now and then but much better. We let him swim a few minutes ago and the same thing happened. I warmed him with a hair dryer (which I have done since he was younger) and again he seems fine except cant walk. If anyone has any advise please help me and Henry... We would appreciate it!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Did you get time released niacin?

Could he have gotten into anything toxic while swimming?

Is his poop normal?

3. henry the duck

henry the duck New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    Manchester, CT.
    Thank you for your response. Poop is normal for the most part. A bit loose once in awhile... Read that an be from lettuce... Don't know if that's true. Should I give him time released niacin? How much? Brewers yeast or no? Thank you again.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Plain niacin or Brewers yeast, at 8 weeks I would get 500 meg niacin and add to 1 gallon of water. It shouldn't take more than 2-3 days to see a difference if its a niacin dif. also he needs grit if you are feeding him anything other than crumble. I use brewers yeast and add it to the feed 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by