DUCK cant walk and she is pooping dark green????

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lynettejames, Jan 31, 2017.

1. lynettejames

lynettejames New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Hello everyone i have a sick duck here, not to sure what to do we are a homestead family trying to stay away from meds in our food. Needing to know if?? she is just egg bound should we put her down??, and will the meat be okay if we butcher?? I have a year old Peking duck she was fine yesterday walking, eating, and swimming fine. This morning when we came to let everyone out, she was unable to walk. She uses her beak and wings to help her along, she can stand but not long just enough to move herself along? I also noticed she had very dark green diarrhea? Could this be egg bound?

[​IMG]
    this is the color of her pooh...
    Please Help Us,
    Thank you,
    The Haase Family [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Ducks are especially prone to niacin deficiencies that cause problems with legs. The diarrhea may or may not be related to it. Please stay on line, or folks on the emergency thread can not reach you with advice if you are off line. You may also wish to post on the "Duck thread," in the interim to see what they suggest.

I don't know if ducks can get Marek's disease - like chickens do but, it generally starts with trouble walking, paralyzed legs etc.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello and wish you luck with your duck.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good links so I'll just say hello and hope all is well with your duck.

1 person likes this.
  6. lynettejames

lynettejames New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    thanks for the info dont think its that tho...[​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under the Haase Family [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I cannot help with your duck but I see you have been given some links to good starting points. I do hope that she is OK.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by