Duck can't walk, please help!

emmajon

Hatching
Feb 21, 2016
Richmond, TX
It will be a week today...he is a neighborhood duck and I don't know but I'm trying to nurse him back to health but nothing seems to be helping.

I found him a week ago by the pond, he wasn't moving. I picked him up, he couldn't walk he just tried to move with his wings. I brought him into my backyard. I got him food since I feed the neighborhood ducks, I have food so I gave him food and water. He was scared and went I picked him up he fell out of my hands and hit the hard flagstone. This was the first day. So then I let him sleep in my backyard for Thursday -Saturday then I knew it was going to rain Sunday and get a little chilly so I got a small crate outside covered and put him in there when it rained. Daily I have to spend an hour in the morning and evening to take care of him. I give him crumbles and clean water. Then I pour warm water to clean off the diarrhea from his body and feet. I got antibiotics for free from a nice vet but it's difficult to give to him. He was only a few months old in September. He is survived on him own because I found him in September in a vacant lot with his two sisters. Their mother died and out of the ducklings just those 4 survived. Since then both sister's died. One had been attacked by a dog and another hit by a car. This is so sad. He's not even a year old. Well today I noticed he might have an infection in his feet. There are cracks that look like scabs, so I cleaned and put antibiotic ointment on it. Then covered feet to protect from poop. But I have a full time job and I can't take care of him it is a lot of work. I thought he would have got better on his own but hasn't. I even ordered a dewormer on Amazon... but it's coming from UK and might not get until March sometime... I can't afford to take him to the vet and he would probably be put down... If his legs are broken does that mean he would never walk again? Thank you.

I found him a week ago by the pond, he wasn't moving. I picked him up, he couldn't walk he just tried to move with his wings. I brought him into my backyard. I got him food since I feed the neighborhood ducks, I have food so I gave him food and water. He was scared and went I picked him up he fell out of my hands and hit the hard flagstone. This was the first day. So then I let him sleep in my backyard for Thursday -Saturday then I knew it was going to rain Sunday and get a little chilly so I got a small crate outside covered and put him in there when it rained. Daily I have to spend an hour in the morning and evening to take care of him. I give him crumbles and clean water. Then I pour warm water to clean off the diarrhea from his body and feet. I got antibiotics for free from a nice vet but it's difficult to give to him. He was only a few months old in September. He is survived on him own because I found him in September in a vacant lot with his two sisters. Their mother died and out of the ducklings just those 4 survived. Since then both sister's died. One had been attacked by a dog and another hit by a car. This is so sad. He's not even a year old. Well today I noticed he might have an infection in his feet. There are cracks that look like scabs, so I cleaned and put antibiotic ointment on it. Then covered feet to protect from poop. But I have a full time job and I can't take care of him it is a lot of work. I thought he would have got better on his own but hasn't. I even ordered a dewormer on Amazon... but it's coming from UK and might not get until March sometime... I can't afford to take him to the vet and he would probably be put down... If his legs are broken does that mean he would never walk again? Thank you.
I'm really sorry, I just don't know what to do. Miss Lydia is much more experienced than me, maybe she will have some advice? I really hope he gets better!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

@Miss Lydia

I'm really sorry, I just don't know what to do. Miss Lydia is much more experienced than me, maybe she will have some advice? I really hope he gets better!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

@Miss Lydia
So sweet of you to want to help him. Do you know of any wild life rehabber in your area. Maybe a vet would know. Might even call your local animal shelter they may know of someone who does rehab and can take him and treat him. Runny wet poop with ducks doesn't necessarily ,mean diarrhea in water fowl. Muscovy's maybe protected species in Texas since they migrate there. which will help if you find a rehabber.

1f625.png
I took him to a wildlife place and 20 minutes ago they put him to sleep, and said he had spinal trauma.
I am so sorry but he would have never walked, I wonder if he got hit by a car or some person may have done it. I guess we'll never know but thankfully you cared enough to try and help.
Bless you.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom