duck cant walk??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lynettejames, Feb 2, 2017.

1. lynettejames

lynettejames New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    i have a year old duck that looked, acted fine, we gave her and her group some zucchini and bell peppers (we cut mole off if that matters) that day, all 5 ate. Then the next day she was unable to walk she is drinking and nibbled some noodles on Wednesday. She has very runny watery metallic green pooh what could be going on??

Thanks
    The Haase Family[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It could be that some of the mold was still on the vegetables - and she may be sensitive to that.

If that is the case, it may help her to make some charcoal slurry and give that to her once and then make sure she has access to lots of fresh water. There is a charcoal slurry recipe in the Stickies for the Duck Forum (link in blue letters at the top of the page),

You might also just put a tablespoon of food grade activated charcoal in a quart of water and leave that with her overnight.

And - it may not be that at all. She could have a virus, could have egg-laying problems. Did she stop laying that you know of? I know it can be hard to tell. Worst case, she could have an infection, perhaps egg yolk peritonitis. A good vet can help you with that. Contrary to what some think, ducks with EYP can be helped. They need antibiotics and sometimes if it's advanced, they need support with tube feeding till they get their appetite back.

It could also be a fluky thing - a 48 hour bug.

Is there a drake in the bunch? Could she be getting too much attention from the drakes? How does her vent look? When my ducks seem off, I put them in a tub of lukewarm water and watch them for a while to look for clues and to just cheer them up.

Had to do that last night with Rowena - long story, but as it turns out, I think she had a leg cramp or something similar.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

Trying to be sure to get your attention.

This device does not tag people..

4. lynettejames

lynettejames New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    i have one drake with 4 females all had stopped laying for about 2 months. her vent looks fine still has not eaten and only seems to drink to help with dryness?? her pooh is now mint green and no change on walking??

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

She needs a vet. She may have egg yolk peritonitis, a very serious and often fatal infection that can be cured if caught in time with the right medication. She probably needs to be syringe or tube fed till she gets her appetite back. She may have metal poisoning - just as serious, and can be treated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by